Unauthorized Claim Denied???

Cdot412
Contributor
Contributor
I called PayPal to inform them of unauthorized activity on my account due to me leaving my phone in an Uber. There was 10+ transactions! All the transactions that were “pending” were removed but the 1 transaction that actually processed I was denied by PayPal and simply got an email saying this charge was not unauthorized??How ridiculous?? This seriously makes me feel like there is no protection for account holders. I’ve had this account for 14+ years and never had any issue of this sort and now I actually need assistance and this is the lack of help I received!? Can anyone help that’s been in a similar situation?
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Cdot412 

Then i would cancel the card as soon as possible, BUT my bank may well not refund if they thought i was negligent in misplacing the card.

That would be my responsibility as i lost it.

From my banking site....

If the bank thinks you might have acted fraudulently or were negligent, they can delay the refund while they investigate - this shouldn't take more than a few days.

If the bank won't refund your money, you'll only be able to get it back by taking the person who stole it to court.

So if that happened I would take responsibility for my own actions and make sure i took more care of my card in future.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Cdot412 

What is not considered an Unauthorized Transaction

The following are NOT considered Unauthorized Transactions:

• If you give someone access to your PayPal account (by giving them your login information) and they use your PayPal account without your knowledge or permission. You are responsible for transactions made in this situation.

I guess by losing your phone AND allowing access to your paypal app then it would be your responsibility.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Cdot412
Contributor
Contributor
That is not logical at all. I didn’t give anyone permission or access to my account and it’s information. If I leave my car unlocked that doesn’t give anyone the right to go in it and take any belongings that may be present. That’s theft and still a crime.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Cdot412 

You allowed access by not keeping your paypal information safe, you lost your phone and presumably you didn't put a password on the app so it couldn't be used?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Cdot412
Contributor
Contributor
So if you were to lose your wallet and I find it with your PayPal card in it and started to remodel my home with your card. You gave me access right? You didn’t keep your PayPal card in a vault and now it’s in my possession so I’m able to use it right? like I said, your reasoning on this matter is not logical. Individuals misplace & lose things everyday. That doesn’t grant anyone who comes upon said things “access” to use them. It is still theft and illegal.
Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Cdot412 

Then i would cancel the card as soon as possible, BUT my bank may well not refund if they thought i was negligent in misplacing the card.

That would be my responsibility as i lost it.

From my banking site....

If the bank thinks you might have acted fraudulently or were negligent, they can delay the refund while they investigate - this shouldn't take more than a few days.

If the bank won't refund your money, you'll only be able to get it back by taking the person who stole it to court.

So if that happened I would take responsibility for my own actions and make sure i took more care of my card in future.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.