Unauthorized Charge from <removed> San Jose CA

Mrsgaetz3
Contributor
Contributor

Following a iTunes purchase, a charge of $64.46 was withdrawn from my bank account by <removed> San Jose CA. I contacted my bank (that I’ve done business with for 21 years) and they explained this is a PayPal charge and to contact them and wished me luck. I’ve reached out to PayPal three times via phone and also emailed them and they said there is no record of these charges on my account. This is correct. These charges do not appear on my PayPal or iTunes account. But the money was withdrawn TWICE by PayPal from my bank account and appears on my statement.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry to hear that there was unauthorized activity on your bank/credit/debit card accounts. The listing of the PayPal street address in association with these transactions is most likely a fraudulent merchant using PayPal's info as their credit card name, rather than an actual transaction made through the PayPal system. If the transactions do not show up on your PayPal account, you can contact PayPal by phone to request that a representative search for any activity outside your account associated with the card number. If the representative cannot find the transactions in question, then it is most likely a fraudulent merchant, and the activity would need to be reported directly to the card issuer as fraud. If the activity is on the PayPal system, the representative can open an investigation into the transaction. To contact PayPal by phone, click Help & Contact at the bottom of any PayPal page, then Contact customer service, then Call us, then login to get the number or click call as a guest.

The card itself should be reported to your card issuing bank to have the number discontinued and a new number issued.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

Magicalwoman
New Community Member

I have two charges as well. One from November and one from January. There is no record of this. Paypal please help!

Login to Me Too

aliciamarazzani
New Community Member

Same thing has happened to me as well as some other random charges not from "Paypal"

The thing is though, these "Paypal" purchases don't show up in my paypal.

Login to Me Too

The fraudulent merchant using PayPal's address has deducted money directly from my bank account FOUR TIMES. My bank issued a new debit card which did not correct the problem. Three of the charges against my checking account were after the new debit card was issued. Changing the debit card # does not solve the problem. Will I have to close my checking account?
Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry to hear that there was unauthorized activity on your bank/credit/debit card accounts. The listing of the PayPal street address in association with these transactions is most likely a fraudulent merchant using PayPal's info as their credit card name, rather than an actual transaction made through the PayPal system. If the transactions do not show up on your PayPal account, you can contact PayPal by phone to request that a representative search for any activity outside your account associated with the card number. If the representative cannot find the transactions in question, then it is most likely a fraudulent merchant, and the activity would need to be reported directly to the card issuer as fraud. If the activity is on the PayPal system, the representative can open an investigation into the transaction. To contact PayPal by phone, click Help & Contact at the bottom of any PayPal page, then Contact customer service, then Call us, then login to get the number or click call as a guest.

The card itself should be reported to your card issuing bank to have the number discontinued and a new number issued.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

smfforkev
Contributor
Contributor

I have just had the same issue. Mine said it was Paypal Lovesunglas San Jose CA. It was only 6.99 but its obviously a fraudulent activity and its the principle of it. There must be someone in San Jose CA that does this on a regular basis. I have discontinued our debit card but I want someone to go after this person and get them in jail. I will talk to my bank further.

I wish Paypal would tell people to clear their cookies before trying to get into the user community. I wasted hours before i found the solution to being "declined".

Login to Me Too

Seriously69
New Community Member
I have had 2 charges so far from this same person. First was 24.99 second was 9.99. They do not show up on my paypal account though. And it is with a debit card that isnt even listed on my paypal account. How fo I get my money back?? Please help. I already emailed paypal about this and got no answer.
Login to Me Too

ZackKyMurr
New Community Member
05/30/2021
Pending Transaction
 MERCHANT CHARGE SAN JOSE, CA
Login to Me Too

bethanyny
Contributor
Contributor

I just received the same charge to my account but not the account linked to my paypal account. It says its from Paypal but on a card I use thats totally not used or listed on my paypal account here. I'm so confused! And my charge is for $500! but I haven't had any transactions from paypal that is that much! 

Login to Me Too

cuiml8
New Community Member

OK, I have figured out the problem.  I had these charges show up on my bank account too and called PayPal.  I looked on my emails and had received confirmations for some purchases I had made with my debit card on Ebay.  The seller on ebay for some reason shows it as a Pay Pal purchase even though I paid for it with my credit card.  I received these items and only paid for them one time via my debit card, not additionally on Pay Pal.  BTW, they didn't show up on my Pay Pal account either, I guess because technically they weren't charges.  Anyway, I'm relieved.  So I guess I would say to look at your email on those dates and see if you have any confirmations for emails saying you bought something on ebay with your credit or debit card.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.