Unauthorized Access and Dispute Denied - What should I do?

SyberiaWinx
Contributor
Contributor

My PayPal Credit balance was around $700.  I’d spent it, and like always, any attempts to spend even a little over we’re denied.  I go on a long vacation and come back to find someone has gotten ahold of my iPad and used my credit to buy a lot of gift cards-my balance is now over $4000!  I have no prayer of paying that back in six months, and didn’t spend it in the first place.  On top of that, how was it even possible for the person who did to spend that much?  I opened a dispute, but PayPal denied it, and communication with them was a nightmare, like with the last case I had to file about a seller who ripped me off. What should I do?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SyberiaWinx

Reasons for hijacked paypal accounts are...........

1. You responded to a spoof email and gave away your log in info.

2. Virus on your computer.

3. Someone accessed your device and your password was stored.

4. Someone new your email addy and guessed the password.

Those are the main but there are others.

If you file an unauthorised transaction then it means your paypal account has been 'hacked' and used without your consent, paypal investigate and if the IP addresses etc match then they turn the claim down.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

SyberiaWinx
Contributor
Contributor

I already know who used my account and how, which I told PayPal.  What I need to know, is how they were able to spent that much of my money, and how I can get PayPal to take care of this before I go into debt.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SyberiaWinx

ok sorry for trying to help, good luck.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.