Unauthorised payment of £618 out of my account!

E_Morris42
Contributor
Contributor
On the 20th of March I received two emails stating that I had sent payments of £309 to two different people I had never heard of. I had not even logged into PayPal in months and definitely did NOT authorise either of the payments. I immediately checked my PayPal and bank account, and on finding that the money had left my bank account, cancelled by bank card and took all of its details off my PayPal account to prevent any more money being stolen. I opened disputes for both cases in the resolution centre and called the customer services to tell a robot about the issue and be referred back to the resolution centre. The day after, I received two emails stating that I would be refunded for both of these transactions, followed by another email a few hours later telling me that there had been no evidence of my account being used by a third party and that I would not be entitled to a refund. I cannot reply to any of these emails as PayPal Services doesn't allow it. Please can somebody in PayPal Services contact me to clarify everything and actually help me resolve this.
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Userncc1701
Contributor
Contributor

Contact your bank or card issuer and tell them of the unauthorised debit from your account ie if the money came straight out of your bank account, contact your bank. If the money was deducted from your PP linked credit card, contact your card provider.

Sorry but trying to talk to a human at PP is difficult. You have to force the telephone menu into an error to direct you to a person. So for example when the IVR asks for your details just keep saying 'I want to speak to disputes operator.' This will eventually error the IVR system and you should be connected to a human voice. Whether you get any better results though is debatable.

Login to Me Too

E_Morris42
Contributor
Contributor
The money was taken from my PayPal linked Debit Card, I contacted my bank straight away and they told me that as the payment was made from the card through PayPal they could do nothing except cancel my card, and I would have to resolve the issue through PayPal. Thanks so much for the tip about getting through to them by phone. I will definitely try that!
Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hi guys. 

I'm sorry to hear what has happened here.

If you have noticed a payment being processed without your permission, E_Morris42, you can follow the steps that can be found here to report this activity to us. 

When you report this to us, we will investigate the activity and contact you via email with an update. 

I hope this helps.
David.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.