Unauthorised payment from 2017

Lucascourtney88
New Community Member
Hi, guys. I’ve stumbled across an email from 2017 whereby £219.58 was transferred from my account via PayPal. I never authorised or knew the transaction existed, is there any way I can get my money back? I’ll include a copy paste of the email below: Your payment sent to Farm Heroes Saga Credit of £219.58 GBP ! Account summary Account: - Date due: 10/1[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]a.m. Amount: £219.58 GBP Dear -, As requested, we’re sending you alerts to all your account activity: Your payment sent to Farm Heroes Saga Credit of £219.58 GBP seems to have occurred from a suspicious location or under circumstances that may be different than usual. If this payment was made without your knowledge , you can cancel this transaction and return the safety of your account. © 1999–2017 PayPal Pte. Ltd.
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Rachael
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @Lucascourtney88,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. 

From your description it sounds as if this email was actually not from us. If we have a concern about a payment we will generally not allow it to go through or add an additional security check at the time. 

There are a few easy ways for you to tell which emails from us are legitimate—and which might be fake or phishing emails.

Fake emails, also known as phishing emails, attempt to collect your personal and financial information. These fake emails often link to fake websites that encourage you to enter personal information such as credit card numbers, passport or driver's license numbers, and account passwords.

PayPal emails:

• Never use a generic greeting like "Dear user" or "Hello, PayPal member". We always address you by your first name and last name or the business name on your PayPal account.
  • Never request financial and other personal information.
    • We never ask for the account number of your bank account, debit or credit card (or driver's license).
    • We also don't request your email addresses, your full name, your account password, or the answers to your PayPal security questions.
  • Never include a software update to install on your computer.
  • Never ask you for money in an email, and we will never ask you to send money through Western Union, MoneyGram or any other third party money transfer service.

You can always see your payment when you log into your PayPal account. If you receive an email saying that you've received a payment, always log in to your PayPal account at www.paypal.com (do not click on any links in the email) and check your account balance there.

If you think you've received a fake email, forward it to spoof@paypal.com. Then delete the fake email from your inbox.

Click Security at the bottom of the PayPal homepage to learn more about fake emails and websites and online safety.

For additional information about fake emails and websites, you can visit www.antiphishing.org, a website put together by the Anti-Phishing Working Group (APWG).

I hope this helps. 

Rachael 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.