Unable to get a guest checkout dispute resolved

Sobriquet
New Community Member

I made a purchase on eBay - the seller upped sticks, shut-up shop and set their feedback to private and left me and dozens of others without goods.

Unfortunately I checked-out as guest from my phone. It was all too easy with the card details entered automatically from saved credentials and I thought nothing of it. I've had this twice before and it's never been a problem. I purchase a lot online, and a lot of that via Paypal.

I sent one mail, referencing the email address used for the guest checkout/paypal, and a dispute was opened on my behalf, which seemed great. Unfortunately, neither it or the transaction were associated with my account. The seller was given a number of days to respond, and I presume didn't, and I got a notification that I had 3 days to provide some info. However, with no account I am unable to login to check. Another few mails to customer services , a few random stock responses and a couple of days later and I'm told that they are still reviewing my case. Nothing to indicate that there's any way that I Can checkup on the status, associate it with my account (which by this time has the guest email address registered with it). I really don't know why it's not just resolved in my favour at this point.

Then I get another mail saying I have 3 days left to provide some information, and this is where it starts to get ridiculous. Responding to my mail, once again providing the dispute id and transaction id, I get a message intended for another individual, referencing a completely different transaction and dispute, and telling me (him) that the case is closed as it wasn't escalated in tim. I reply to point out that this is presumably a serious mistake(-n identity), and they then respond to me by this other person's name again, and tell me that they can't find the transaction in question.

I'm tearing my hair out at this point. I've sent about 10 polite mails, but I feel like I'm battling a poorly-calibrated AI.

I guess I should pick up the phone during office hours.

Any suggestions on routes to contact Paypal that are more likely to end in success?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sobriquet 

UK customer services is based just outside Dublin so you could just knock on their door?  🤔

Failing that............

Click on the words "Help / Contact" at the bottom of paypals pages and use the phone option in the blue band at the top OR very bottom of page dependent on what country you are in. Scroll down past the list of help questions and click on 'Call us' bottom of that page. Log in and get the code.

OR
have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.