Unable to appeal PayPal claim outcome

MoreQsThanAs
Contributor
Contributor

From a merchant I ordered from a vendor a stainless steel rack, 5 tiers, 6' tall, 3' wide, 1' deep when assembled.  Merchant then sent me a delivery confirmation three days after I "supposedly" received it.  Went down to my local USPS to get expanded details and to ensure it wasn't mishandled, possibly delivered to someone else.  Come to find out the merchant never sent a package.  They sent me an envelope weighing 1 ounce and this was indicated in the USPS detail.  I have no clue what they sent and like most, my wife and I recognized review the mail we receive pretty thoroughly.  Regardless, a stainless steel rack won't fit into an envelope weighing one ounce, so I reached out to the vendor.  After two emails to the merchant in a two-week period with no responses, I filed a claim.

Original claim included a PDF of the email string where I attempted to contact the merchant, PDF of the USPS documentation showing what was delivered weighed 1 OUNCE.  Case awarded in favor of the merchant by simply providing a tracking number.  Now I look to appeal with the hope I get a PayPal claim representative with a higher level of diligence to review claim documentation . . .

My issue though is there is NO mechanism to appeal.  Went to Resolution Center, clicked on Closed Cases, under Actions all I see is "View" where it has been indicated to me through reps in the Message Center there should be an option to appeal here.  Also tried entering into the closed case, looking at the bottom of the "Case Details" section where there is supposedly a link there to appeal, but there isn't.

Not only is this frustrating but also disheartening.  The time invested in this process isn't worth what I paid for this stainless rack in the first place.  At the same time I won't allow a merchant to get away operating a fraudulent business at my expense and likely others as well.  Would appreciate someone validating the ability or inability to appeal a claim.

Thanks in advance for all responses.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

MoreQsThanAs
Contributor
Contributor

Sometimes it just takes getting to the right person . . .

I indicated through dialog in the PayPal Message Center my inability to file an appeal through the suggested methods (Help and PayPal representative).  Finally, had a rep ask me to provide my appeal documentation THROUGH the message center.  After sending everything, I got a rep who reviewed and agreed with me that I did get **bleep**.  They now have to go back to the merchant who has 10 days to appeal their case.  Good luck scammer merchant!  Regardless, it looks favorable for a refund.

Beyond this, the representative provided a link www.ic3.gov.  This is the Internet Crime Complaint Division with the FBI.  I don't know how effective they are, but I plan to file a complaint.

Overall, I hope this information somehow helps someone else.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
17 REPLIES 17

cs1111
Contributor
Contributor
PayPal is absolutely no help in resolving a claim. I ordered DeWalt batteries and received 5 KN95 masks. They say claim is DENIED. They support fraudulent websites, since I was not the only person who ordered from this website who received masks instead of their real order from scaner.com based in Omaha NE ships from CHINA. Makes you wonder if PayPal is legit!!
Login to Me Too

bobf4
Contributor
Contributor

I appealed this purchase, the seller provided an incorrect tracking number and he provided the same tracking number to paypal and they used that to make their decision. the tracking number indicates that the item was delivered and and paypal used that to make their decision. i cannot figure out how to file an appeal.

i kinda feel at this point that the seller isnt legit.

Login to Me Too

MoreQsThanAs
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same experience Bob.  Merchant provided a mere tracking number, which USPS showed as delivered.  But if you go to USPS.com and get your information, it doesn't give any details to show just WHAT got delivered.  So in my case I took it one step further by going to my local post office to get detail you can't see on the USPS website.  That's how I discovered that what was delivered was a one-ounce letter to my mailbox, NOT a 19 lb package to my doorstep - which is what I expected to receive.

Login to Me Too

MoreQsThanAs
Contributor
Contributor

Apparently thinking about this wasn't a complete waste.

It just occurred to me . . . the payment to PayPal drafted on my bank account.  If PayPal isn't going to adequately review my claim information, then deny my claim in favor or a fraudulent merchant, I'll let my bank restore the funds to my account and take up the fight with PayPal.

Login to Me Too

Jonny174
Contributor
Contributor

I'm  running into the same issue, the scammer seller provided a tracking # showing delivered, and i can't find a way to appeal. Paypal sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Login to Me Too

Insect11
New Community Member

The same thing happen to me.

I ordered a lego set for my grandson in April. I sent notice to paypal that I had not received my item. Yesterday I received notice from Paypal stating that claim has been denied because the tracking number stated that it was delivered. I went home and what I received in a very small envelope was 1 blue surgical mask. The outside of the envelope stated that it was worth 10.00 US money and the weight was 1kg. I paid 60 for the Lego set. I would have never ordered a surgical mask considering that I get a free one from work each morning as I am a healthcare provider. I am having trouble trying to get a hold of corporate office to dispute this. the help feature is not help either. Any suggestions. ? I am discourage for ever using paypal again.

Login to Me Too

MoreQsThanAs
Contributor
Contributor

Insect, I had this EXACT same problem.

Go down to your local post office, get detailed documentation from them.  It isn't the same detail you can get online.  USPS online won't show you the weight and description on what was sent.  I ordered a rack that when delivered should have weighed 19 pounds.  The detail you get from the post office shows the weight, the type of item delivered (single piece-rate aka envelope or parcel), and also whether it was delivered to your doorstep or at the mailbox.  When I got my documentation, the merchant sent me a bleeping one-ounce envelope, delivered to my mailbox - the proof I needed to overturn a merchant's simple supplication of a tracking number with nothing else.  Start a thread in the Message Center, indicate what's going on, be patient and persistent.  Response times are horrible.  You'll go through a few folks that appear clueless and will even ask you to do what you've already done.  Eventually, you'll get through to the person that GETS it and will help you turn things in your favor.  It worked for me.

Login to Me Too

Jonny174
Contributor
Contributor

I'm running into the same issue, my case got denied because the scammer seller provided a tracking#, and i can't find a way to appeal.  Paypal sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Login to Me Too

melindadburton
New Community Member
This is happening with a lot of purchases. I have a similar problem, but shipped via UPS. Tracking number sent on 6-27, claimed a 1 ounce package had been delivered to me on 6-26. I called UPS, they said the actual recipient was a man in a different state, though they could not disclose who or where. I have always trusted PayPal for online transactions as they have been quick to resolve problems. Unfortunately with Covid-19 and the lack of PayPal staff on duty to help, I think the crooks are going crazy! They have figured out the loopholes with bogus tracking and know we will be months getting our money back. I hope they can figure out how to reduce the seller fraud, help flag bad sites or something. I will have to stop online shopping with small companies.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.