Unable to access my money without Social Security Number and Birth Date

Shadowbandit
Contributor
Contributor

In the recent past, I've used PayPal to make purchases and I have had no issues. However, when I went to purchase something about a week ago I was unable to do so unless I put in my Social Security number and birth date. Why is this only happening now and is there any way to avoid this?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kwn45133
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Shadowbandit and @kwn45133,

I'm sorry to hear that you're being asked to provide more information. It's possible that the information is needed to complete identity verification. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Shadowbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Well yeah I know it's required to complete my identification, but what if someone can't fill it out? Like what if someone is a foreign exchange student living in America for a year, someone who doesn't have a Social Security number? Or what if someone was born into the Amish, as they don't have Social Security numbers either? What are they supposed to do, just sacrifice their money to the PayPal gods?
Honestly, I'm disappointed in this service. I believed that it was simply an online wallet that I could use freely, and it worked well enough for a few months, but now it's locked away until I give a Social Security number. I missed an online sale because I couldn't access my money, which isn't a huge deal, but it's still a little annoying.
And this apparently is also a recent development, as forums from this very website in the past show that it was merely optional, and that only those who reached a certain threshold would have to give their number Any website that required your Social Security number was a scam or phishing site/email.
So I guess I'm going to lose my money unless some other agreement can be worked out, which is doubtful. I am very disappointed and frustrated with this, and I will never use this site again. Not that a single customer will mater to a massive corporation.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.