USPS Denies insurance claim and Paypal forces seller refund of $1,100

msquared1444
Contributor
Contributor

I shipped a vintage tuner that I sold on eBay for $950 plus shipping. I packed in bubble wrap and wrote fragile on all sides in big letters on the box. I shipped Priority Mail and pulled all tubes and put each in a separate bubble mailer. I paid an extra fee via Paypal to add $1,000 in insurance. The buyer sent me photos of the box which had been damaged and the front of the tuner glass was cracked in two places. The same places the box was damaged. I advised the buyer to take the box and the tuner to his local post office. The buyer took photos of the box and threw it away and took just the tuner to the post office so they rejected my claim because no box was presented and they said my ebay sales receipt was insufficient proof of value. Then the buyer filed a claim with paypal - item not as described - when the item was exactly as described. Next Paypal froze my account and I had to pay for the buyer to ship the damaged tuner back to me ($78) and then paypal credited the buyer all of his money. So I have to pay shipping both ways and now I have a broken tuner. I filed an appeal and the post office approved the ebay receipts on appeal and I also added photos of the original tuner being placed in bubble wrap in the box with white gloves on,  packing all tubes, etc. and the photos of the damaged tuner. The USPS rejected my claim and said they need the original box. I called the accounting department and they said the when you buy insurance it doesn't stipulate that you must retain the box, but when a claim is filled they suggest you bring in the box. Since I have no proof (which I do have proof) they are denying the claim. I called Paypal and the say the seller agreement states the the seller is responsible for delivering the package in good condition? Huh? Sellers pay all of the paypal fees, yet they protect buyers. I have filed 2 other insurance claims for under $100 online with USPS and those went through with photos only. I did a web search and it appears that the USPS denies all claims over a certain amount. Will paypal or eBay help me? I doubt it. Can't sue the post office in small claims court. Any suggestions welcomed. I feel that paypal really let me down here and I have no recourse with anyone. 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Mikeyme7
Contributor
Contributor
This happened to me just last week I sold a 12 setting piece of sterling silver flatware and the buyer used it and send it back because the salt pepper shakers had salt and pepper in them they came back with dishwasher states which are pretty much permanent on there he can't get those off and he switched out a couple of pieces of my silverware with another brand it looks similar now he returned it is not described by them as well and they did the same thing to my account it was horrible these people have done this to me three times I don't know why use them and you know what I'm not going to anymore because I already got my website going and I'm not going to use ebay or paypal as a platform that I sell if I don't have to now everybody is implementing the build your own site and own store which there's plenty of room on the internet for everybody to have their own story ask me and that's just showing that they're losing a lot of their original client base and they're having to reorganize and they're going to have to morph into something that's going to be more friendly towards sellers or supportive I should say because without me you seller's there would be nothing to sell and nothing to buy and my stuff is always top-notch I just hate buyers that take advantage of the system they don't shop someplace else get off my page MSelvera
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.