UPS tracking number scam

cbee17
Contributor
Contributor

I tried a new marketplace because I trust PayPal. I wish, however, that I had also reviewed the eBay and PayPal community boards before purchasing. This exact scam appears frequently over recent weeks - where the 'seller' uses others' UPS tracking numbers to 'prove' delivery. I'm not an expert in security but it appears that the heart of the scam is the ease with which one can access UPS tracking numbers for a given date and zip code. You only need to guess a customer reference - which can be common and generic such as 'purchase order' or 'gift'. Of course, if you know someone who works at UPS (where tracking numbers are visible in any store), this would be even easier. Judging by the eBay outcomes (full refunds), I'm assuming that eBay security has caught up with this scam - perhaps banning this 'seller', leading them to migrate to another platform. PayPal, however, has not caught up with this - as my case was denied in less than 10 seconds (surely due to false 'proof' of delivery). I have UPS confirmation that the tracking number corresponds to neither the 'seller' nor to my name and address - but PayPal seems unable or unwilling to accept this information and address this scam. Until PayPal solves this, buyer beware.

Login to Me Too
56 REPLIES 56

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@cbee17 

Contact customer service for assistance:

Click HELP at the top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US.

Call early, during business hours, west coast time to try to get a US rep. 

Say "Live Agent" to the automated recording.

If you do get a rep that you aren't comfortable talking with, or can’t assist, hang up and call again.  

Or private message via social media:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter: @AskPayPal 

Get documentation from UPS that tracking is fake and ask a human review your claim again. File ic3.gov report and file police report to boot so they know you mean business. Time to stick with reputable merchants that we all know because anyone and their grandma can step up shop and sell. PayPal warns that they can't guarantee who you by or sell to. We are our first line of defense. If it's still no go and you paid with credit card, open a dispute with card issuer.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

AndyB5
Contributor
Contributor

I got documentation from UPS that the tracking number was not for a packaged delivered to my address, and this was no help with Paypal, my claim was denied. (A UPS agent provided info on the shipper > I contacted the shipper> a customer service rep provided me information on the customer address for the pack - although the weren't suppose to> I went back to UPS knowing the delivery address of the package and they provide me an FTP document that could be downloaded with the tracking number and delivery address for the package - which was not my address. My impression is that this information is really difficult to get from UPS because this information is confidential.)

Are hacked tracking numbers readily available? <Removed>

Login to Me Too

wasser2b
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem, wrote to the CRO of Paypal, and got a refund after they shut it down twice. Money is in my account. Paypal only checks the Zip-code of the delivery as the delivery notice does not include address and name of the buyer.

Login to Me Too

jh2210
Contributor
Contributor

Seems like good advice. My experience is that attention varies greatly between customer service reps. During the COVID-19 quarantine, I was only able to reach agents via chat, and after 1-4 hours of waiting. So, work on something else while you wait.

Additionally, despite multiple assurances that submitted proof was attached to my case, subsequent customer service reps would indicate no such proof is present.

In other words, be prepared for a repetitive, somewhat confrontational experience with PayPal as you seek to ensure the evidence provided is being reviewed by them. And yes, my dispute was summarily denied due to seller providing a false UPS tracking #. Still working it.

Login to Me Too

MahiMahi1
Contributor
Contributor
This is currently happening to me. * I have been told that UPS can GPS where the truck actually was at the date and time of delivery! (There is also a suspicious part 1 & part 2 on my supposed delivery / only one item ordered). I am waiting to hear from UPS as everything is in slow motion these days. *If PayPal doesn’t doesn’t help- my many, many years with them are over . I tried to cancel this order immediately with the seller & PayPal after googling the company’s complaints- but to no avail & here I am 1.5 weeks later dealing with this fake delivery.... FYI : When PayPal contacted the seller, they immediately came up with the tracking # that stated it was delivered within 3 days.
Login to Me Too

wasser2b
Contributor
Contributor

As a former Paypal employee told me, Paypal just checks the Zip-Code of the delivery. The delivery confirmation does not include your address and name. I had the same problem, wrote to the CEOs of Paypal and UPS, got the money back, after filing a complaint in addition to FBI, the Attorney General of Texas, and BBB.

Login to Me Too

Qmatrixx
Contributor
Contributor
Yes. I am dealing with this today...What is crazy is that the ebay seller literally used two different proofs of delivery with two different tracking numbers ebay got one PayPal got another. Different delivery times and dates for same item. But that's not even a red flag to them...it shows the delivery was make to my zip code. Ups let me know the tracking numbers are not connected to my name address or ebay shipper and are telling me the can't provide me with proof of that...so I'm headed out to talk to someone face to face at ups hub...
Login to Me Too

AndyB5
Contributor
Contributor

Good luck. UPS told me the shipper (and sent me an email with this info), and by contacting the shipper I got the delivery address. I then went back to UPS knowing the delivery address and they provided me with an official document that detailed everything - but it was all for naught, Paypal seemed to care less.

Is your seller from Vietnam?

Login to Me Too

Lindswill1
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever get your money back? Mine was a guy named Phi <removed> something. I spent $397. I’m furious

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.