UPS FAKE TRACKING NUMBER

lightningx2
Contributor
Contributor
I recently opened a dispute with PayPal. I purchased a gold's home gym only to find out I was scammed. The issue is the seller is not the seller on the site. The seller is based in China. They never provided me any details about my order. When I disputed it, I was provided a tracking number from PayPal. The tracking number says it was delivered to my address. It wasn't. I never signed anything and my item was not 1.7lbs as stated on the tracking number. It was 300lbs. I'm totally freaking out. How do these scammers get tracking numbers and actually have my address on it so UPS says. I tried filing a claim with ups and they canceled it. Why? I'm still waiting for a response from PayPal. It doesn't look good at this point. Also it was shipped 10 minutes before I ordered it. Something isn't right. I'm ready to file a complaint with IC3.
Login to Me Too
42 REPLIES 42

welakaslaka
Contributor
Contributor

UPDATE !!!!  I called, got through to a representative & they resolved !!

June 29, 2021   1:20pm eastern

Called their One Eight Hundred Number - Under contact us

You'll get their Voice Response Unit

Say “Speak to an Agent”  said 2x after calling – gets you to an agent

3 min hold

Spoke to Daniel

Daniel stated that this is a Common issue – Many carriers struggling to control

No need to escalate to a supervisor

We spoke about - How are they doing this?

Daniel said – “Not clear how they are hacking valid tracking numbers” but many are looking into it

Daniel looked into my dispute info 1st

Daniel Calling UPS to validate

On Hold as she spoke to UPS – 10 min

She opened an appeal

Address was not my home address – gives the appearance packaged delivered to me

Privacy issue on line tracking – case automation issue at UPS

How they are acquiring these valid tracking #s no one can figure out -

Driver release override – common during covid

I told Daniel to check this community site & help folks in this situation

=====

Case appealed & ruled in my favor

A few confirm emails coming my way –

Will get a refund

Login to Me Too

Pixipoppi
Contributor
Contributor
Same issue. Ordered a $99 fire pit from Batchlet. At the time, there were no reviews online of this company, there was a phone number, email, and address with a contact person’s name on the site. I hesitated for a week or so, but went ahead and bought anyway thinking PayPal will handle it if it’s a scam since they claim they are a secure site. I was wrong. I tried contacting the email multiple times with no response. I didn’t know about the fake tracking until I disputed the charge and in two days got the tracking through PayPal. Initially the tracking showed that my package was “delivered to customer man” which I honestly thought was funny because UPS would NEVER word it that way. It eventually somehow changed to just “delivered to customer” but I have the screenshot showing they even somehow changed that part. I contacted UPS to give me some sort of evidence that it was fake. The rep at UPS told me that I had to contact the company and compare addresses first and that they are unable to release any info about this delivery to me even though I confirmed my own info (name, address..). UPS was no help. They literally just said to me “sorry you got scammed, but we can’t release any info to you unless you confirm with the company”. Obviously that’s not an option since the email address of the company is fake. PayPal denied my claim and said it’s because the scammer provided tracking. I can’t get UPS to release any info or help, and PayPal won’t take any of my screenshots nor will they investigate any farther than being aware of a tracking number that says delivered. It’s clearly fake. You can see that immediately if you know anything about tracking through UPS. There are now reports online in the last two weeks of many, many being scammed by this same site and PayPal not doing anything. You would think they would take into consideration all this info and realized they allowed a scammer to get away with all these scams, but they don’t. It’s absurd to have to keep hounding them to keep looking into it. Especially when all the signs point to it being an obvious scam once the tracking number is provided.
Login to Me Too

welakaslaka
Contributor
Contributor

You have to call PayPal in order to resolve this. 

Login to Me Too

foobar2
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem, bought a 1 pound item, first UPS tracking number showed "delivered" a 16 pound package, I opened an Ebay dispute two days later, and very quickly Ebay replied "closed dispute because item delivered" accompanied by a SECOND tracking number showing delivery of a 3 pound package one day after the first (non) delivery. Belatedly I looked at seller feedback and read reports by six other people who fell for the same scam. I do not understand how it is possible to get fake tracking information into UPS, but worse, even though it keeps happening, neither Ebay nor Paypal nor UPS seems interested in fixing the problem.

Login to Me Too

ksbayner
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, I got scammed too.  Filed a claim with PayPal because seller never sent an order confirmation email and the customer service phone number on the sellers site was not in service.  PayPal contacted seller via email who subsequently sent a UPS tracking number showing something (no details) shipped and delivery confirmed and promptly denied the claim.  Follow up on my part with UPS indicated this was a factual UPS tracking number just not addressed to me or my address (UPS also confirmed this is a pretty common occurrence for them) .  Clearly this is a scam and looking at the on line community it is rampant.  Customer centric PayPal, doesn't allow disputing/reopening a closed claim.  I also can no longer open another claim against this seller either.  It troubles me that PayPal doesn't seem to care and refuses to look at the bigger picture.  Well adios PayPal, maybe if enough people quit their service they'll eventually look into it (hah!).

Login to Me Too

Morbid9
Contributor
Contributor
Yep they got me too. Fake tracking from Texas to the delivery distribution center right next to me. All packages go to the main hub in Sacramento first. PayPal needs to get a handle on this. Checked my cameras and nothing delivered at the date and time.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Morbid9 

APPEAL

To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper/courier (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment. Or one that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address. THEY DON'T HAVE TO SAY WHICH ADDRESS IT WAS SENT TO, JUST THAT IT WAS NOT DELIVERED TO YOUR ADDRESS.

Check tracking in below link to see where it went.
https://www.17track.net/en

When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click contact at the bottom of the page, or via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

You also have the option to contact your card issuer if you funded your paypal payment that way and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

artdirdave
Contributor
Contributor
PayPal needs to be sued and pay us back 100s of millions over the legal costs they are supporting this with their ineptitude and terrible AI crap they deploy!
Login to Me Too

Morbid9
Contributor
Contributor
PayPal figured it out. I just got the email that they will be refunding my card. Good job PayPal. Now we need to get Google to remove these fake sites. Make sure to check their other products. I knew I was in trouble when I realized I bought a tool from a clothing site...
Login to Me Too

jacpaim
Contributor
Contributor

I purchase a ISLE Paddle board from a Cloned Fake website, I am a customer of the real company and the website looks legit, they even have same pictures, so they never communicated with me and they of course never delivered the item. I opened a PayPal claim, and they provided a tracking number with UPS, so PayPal closed the claim. The tracking number shows that the item was delivered two days after the purchase and the weight was only 8.9 pounds, how can two giant paddle boards only weight 9 pounds? I already have paddle boards and I know for sure how heavy they are. Anyways, I have the ring and am trying to show that on that date nothing was delivered, and going to contact UPS but I am some how feeling not motivated because I see here that other people already contacted them with no luck at all. We need to do something about it. I also proved to PayPal that they have a fake website, I saved in PDF both website pages, and I also called the real company and they told me that they are been cloned but not only one fake and by many, and they are trying to get rid of them, but there was nothing they can do about it. If PayPal are able to communicate with them, they can ask for our money back because they also have an acct with PayPal in order to be able to provide fake shipping info. Lets get together and stop this and also help others not fall for the same scammers.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.