UPS FAKE TRACKING NUMBER

lightningx2
Contributor
Contributor
I recently opened a dispute with PayPal. I purchased a gold's home gym only to find out I was scammed. The issue is the seller is not the seller on the site. The seller is based in China. They never provided me any details about my order. When I disputed it, I was provided a tracking number from PayPal. The tracking number says it was delivered to my address. It wasn't. I never signed anything and my item was not 1.7lbs as stated on the tracking number. It was 300lbs. I'm totally freaking out. How do these scammers get tracking numbers and actually have my address on it so UPS says. I tried filing a claim with ups and they canceled it. Why? I'm still waiting for a response from PayPal. It doesn't look good at this point. Also it was shipped 10 minutes before I ordered it. Something isn't right. I'm ready to file a complaint with IC3.
Login to Me Too
42 REPLIES 42

Raj001
Contributor
Contributor

I also had the exact same issue. I bought a study desk ($80) from this website called Kiwashop.net and my dispute was also denied due to the fact that, on the tracking number, it said that the item was delivered, but on the details, it said that the item was 1lb. Which is an obvious clue that this whole tracking this is fake, not to mention I didn't even get anything. On the dispute, I wrote 1.)that the seller never responded to my numerous emails, 2.) The website is fake, and 3.) the tracking info does not match my item, but it was still denied and I lost $80. I should have noticed that the website was fake, but paypal letting this happen is the sad part. I dont know what to do.

Login to Me Too

chatridge3
New Community Member
YES! Same thing for me. I ordered TWO 50lb dumbells and they gave some fake tracking that says it was deliveries, it says “small packets”. How are 50lbs dumbells small?!?! PayPal denied my dispute because of this fake tracking!!!! SO MAD
Login to Me Too

Birkenstock73
Contributor
Contributor
Just realized I just got scammed. I opened a claim and the seller responded right away with a tracking number that said the package was delivered. We noticed right away the weight was incorrect. I will be trying to contact PayPal by phone, but I’m sure with stupid Covid I will have a difficult time. Looks like we may be learning a $100 lesson the hard way. We always used PayPal because it is a safer way to pay. I didn’t realize this loophole even could exist. Ugh!!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Birkenstock73 

APPEAL

To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper/courier (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment. Or one that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address.
Check tracking in below link to see where it went.
https://www.17track.net/en

When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click Contact at the bottom of the page, however that may not be an option at the moment due to covid), or via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

You also have the option to contact your card issuer if you funded your paypal payment that way and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

lightningx2
Contributor
Contributor
PayPal sent my credit card company the bogus tracking number. I was denied. Really disappointing needless to say. Never use PayPal or that credit card again.
Login to Me Too

Sonup417
Contributor
Contributor

I too ordered a large heavy item, a 8x16 greenhouse for $135.00 Got a confirmation email from them that it was processing, never received a shipment notice. When I checked on it a month later I got a web page that said the store was closed due to broken terms of agreement from the host. I sent that info to PayPal and after explaining everything they sent me a UPS Tracking number showing the delivery was left at my door. Now realize I live in a house where the front door is 9 feet above the ground with a little porch out front and the UPS tracking said it was left at my door, considering this was a 8x16 greenhouse, I doubt anything was left at my door and definitely wasn't only .60 lbs. I resent my complaint to PayPal and they immediately denied it. It also says it was shipped on Feb 28th and arrived 2 March, all the way from China. I got with my bank and filed an unauthorized charge and my bank charged back the amount to PayPal. WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T BUY ANYTHING OFF FACEBOOK ADS AND VERIFY THEY ARE A REPUTABLE USA BASED COMPANY.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sonup417 

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy. The site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) but they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost often more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number. if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. Rarely company address information.
4. Great pictures of items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.
5. Fake reviews.
6. Google and you can often see previous company names as they change them once enough claims roll in and Paypal stop them using their services and start over.
7. Send fake tracking numbers to win item non receipt of item claims.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

lightningx2
Contributor
Contributor
Unfortunately my credit card denied my claim bc PayPal sent them the bogus tracking number and they believed it. Unbelievable. I no longer deal with that credit card or PayPal. A bunch of frauds.
Login to Me Too

Dorlowski1272
Contributor
Contributor
This was exactly how I scammed from I think a Facebook ad but the site looked legit. Fake tracker from UPS and they said it was never delivered and my Ring Door Bell has not video nor my video camera system of delivery. Seller will not respond and closed the store. Just filed a claim with Pay Pal so let's see how this goes!
Login to Me Too

WTee
Contributor
Contributor
This is a very common issue at eBay. The seller will only allow you to buy using PayPal. PayPal is supposed to be secured but they allow this to happen to me. I will not buy from eBay or use PayPal unless they correct this loophole protecting the buyer. I only buy via Amazon because they have better consumer protection and return policy. Maybe I will create a TikTok video to let more people know of this scam. You can Google this scam about fake seller using fake UPS tracking via PayPal loophole.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.