UPS FAKE TRACKING NUMBER

lightningx2
Contributor
Contributor
I recently opened a dispute with PayPal. I purchased a gold's home gym only to find out I was scammed. The issue is the seller is not the seller on the site. The seller is based in China. They never provided me any details about my order. When I disputed it, I was provided a tracking number from PayPal. The tracking number says it was delivered to my address. It wasn't. I never signed anything and my item was not 1.7lbs as stated on the tracking number. It was 300lbs. I'm totally freaking out. How do these scammers get tracking numbers and actually have my address on it so UPS says. I tried filing a claim with ups and they canceled it. Why? I'm still waiting for a response from PayPal. It doesn't look good at this point. Also it was shipped 10 minutes before I ordered it. Something isn't right. I'm ready to file a complaint with IC3.
Login to Me Too
42 REPLIES 42

Kbertsch
Contributor
Contributor
Call and talk to a PayPal representative. I had the same thing happen to me and I was told this is a newer loophole that scam sellers are using and PayPal is aware of it. The lady told me a PayPal supervisor will call UPS to get proof that nothing was delivered, all the scammer needs is to provide the city and state and zip code for it to say “delivered” .
Login to Me Too

cat2446
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone had any success calling Paypal and talking with someone in person?  I had a very similar experience back in April and have been caught in a bad customer service loop online due to Covid limited staffing.  I've provided copies of an email from UPS stating that the so-called package was not addressed to me (it was a fake tracking number), but Paypal refuses to act on it.  It appears that this problem is rampant, Paypal must be aware of it, and they are not protecting buyers.  

Login to Me Too

ann_lira
Contributor
Contributor
I haven't gotten hold of a live rep to talk to yet but I'm communicating to them through chat. Took so long for every replies but at least someone is looking into my concern which is exactly the way you described it.
Login to Me Too

Rob-
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, this happened to me twice recently. Its a little difficult to get a rep on the phone, but you can. Have them reopen the claim, and ask them to call UPS to verify that it is not your tracking info. They can do sometimes while you wait on hold. UPS will tell them it was not delivered to your address. Then Paypal will refund your money.

Login to Me Too

RobinJonz
New Community Member

Same problem here!  Thank you for the information!  Paypal denied my fraud claim back in May of 2020.  Perhaps they are getting a better handle on it now!  I even offered video camera proof that I did not receive a delivery from UPS that day and time, but back in May, all they cared about was the fake UPS delivery tracking number.  However, I was able to do a little bit of investigating and have the guys name, phone number, address, and the same for multiple family members, right here in the US (Arizona).  So, it's not just sites from China!  As others have stated above, I ordered a vacuum that weighed around 7lbs. and they reported to PayPal is was an art poster weighing less than 1lb.  It was also shipped by UPS 2-day Air a full day before they stated I ordered it!  And was not "delivered" by UPS for a full 10-days later.  Paypal is really dropping the ball here!  I will try calling a representative now that the scam has become so widespread since it happened to me, maybe they will credit my account this time.........

Login to Me Too

Ken_M
Contributor
Contributor
Call and talk to a live rep, even after a dispute has been "closed". Tell them the seller provided a fake tracking number that doesn't match your name or address (and usually the weight of the item is way off as well).
Login to Me Too

lightningx2
Contributor
Contributor
This happened to me almost a year ago. Exact same thing. You couldn’t get a live rep back then due to COVID. Do you think they will look into now? I don’t have a phone number to reach them at. I’ll have to Google it. It’s really sad what ppl will do to scam others. Low life’s no doubt. Usually from China.
Login to Me Too

artdirdave
Contributor
Contributor
How do you call and talk to them I cannot hardly get out of this text hell of loop after loop, they hide behind their AI crap
Login to Me Too

Rob-
Contributor
Contributor

You need to login into Paypal first, and then click the Contact US link. Then Phone. It will give you a code, then call and enter the code. Then, you have to beat the AI into putting you through to a rep, like saying "need an agent" or hitting 0. Eventually you will get through to a live agent.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.