UK Seller wants return to China for refund after supplying wrong item

rg_41
Contributor
Contributor

I bought an item from a UK seller and the item was dispatched from the UK to my UK address.

The item was not as described and when I couldn't get an answer from the seller on how to return, I raised it with paypal.

Paypal tells me I must return the item to CHINA for a refund. The cost of that is, of course, more than the refund itself and seems like a scam on the part of the seller to deter returns and refund requests.  

I have sent another message to paypal help centre but have received no reply and the time for the closure of this claim is running out. 

What can I do?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

nester74
New Community Member

I am having exactly the same problem, UK website sent generic item instead of specific PayPal says can have refund must return to seller - in CHINA!! nothing on website to say this must be done and item packaging says from UK!! they are in the wrong no help or support from PayPal -outrageous. Did you get anywhere? thanks

Login to Me Too

roscoek56
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem with solodiscountbuy.com ordered polishing machine & received inexpensive sanding belts. Seller will not acknowledge mistake & provide return / refund info. PayPal has processed payment & next step is to elevate dispute to PayPal which will probably be denied ....

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@roscoek56 

@rg_41 

@nester74 

Chinese Web Sites or on Facebook easy to spot so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

HOWEVER you may still have the option to do a charge back if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card.
Also Paypal may contribute towards return costs IF you have activated the below link (if available in your country).
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/returns

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

rg_41
Contributor
Contributor

Since this thread has been resurrected, I thought I'd explain the outcome in case it helps anyone else.

The company had accepted the return (albeit to China) so to Paypal it looked solved and I was at a loss bcause with the issue marked as solved there was no way to raise it again online. 

I called the Paypal helpline and they were EXCELLENT. They called me back, they discussed it with me and when I explained what had happened they agreed immediately to refund the money - they are aware that this kind of scam goes on.

So if you're being ripped off by a seller, let paypal know - by telephone - and they will sort it. 

Login to Me Too

roscoek56
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for clarifying my options !
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.