UK: Disputing Unauthorised transaction/Seller Protection

UKandUSaccount
Contributor
Contributor

UK

Short: Buyer disputed as unauthorised. Evidence provided, but paypal found against seller. Buyer on the phone says he realises he made a mistake and now recognises the transaction, but I think he might not be comfortable managing the online processes to close the dispute. Surely I met the Seller protection requirements to be successful?!

Long: Buyer and seller long-term Ebay/paypal users with good feedback. Higher value item £1000-£2000.

Sold item on Ebay. Sent UPS tracked to address on paypal payment. Delivered, and buyer left positive Ebay feedback - we also exchanged a couple of messages about the delivery (I paid extra for early delivery, but it was delayed a few hours due to severe weather at delivery end).

About six weeks later, buyer started unauthorised transaction dispute. The dispute was oddly for only about 2/3 of the transaction amount.

I contacted buyer by 'phone. Buyer said he made a mistake - the payment was partly out of paypal funds, and partly from his bank account. He didn't recognise the amount taken from his bank account as matching a transaction value, so he disputed it. He since realised part of the payment was from his paypal funds, hence not recognising the amount from his account and only disputing part of the payment (which frankly looks odd!).

Buyer probably isn't entirely managing the online steps involved in closing this dispute.

Buyer has offered to simply paypal me the sum again, but I'm not comfortable with that path yet partly because there might still be a strike of some kind against me.

I responded to the dispute with the tracking details to the paypal payment address (which paypal already had - I uploaded them at the time of the sale), and the link to my feedback with the seller positive feedback, and the explanation above.

I received the usual instant email acknowledgement. 17 minutes later, an email saying the amount has now been debited from my account, and will be disputed with the buyer's financial institution.

The Paypal page on the dispute says:

After reviewing the information we received, we were unable to cover the payment in this case. However, we might be able to recover this from the buyer's financial institution. Once we file a case on your behalf with the buyer's financial institution, it could take up to 75 days to get a resolution.

What now?

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.