Two unauthorized charges on paypal account

Cajeng
Contributor
Contributor

I woke up the other morning and noticed i had two charges for 150 dollars on my paypal account. Both were from twitch.tv. Ive used twitch before and have had a few subscriptions to different streamers over the years but nothing like this. Currently i only had one 5 dollar subscription.

First thing i did was try to log into twitch but my account was deleted. Some message like this username doesnt or no longer exist popped up i believe. I

So i put in a claim with paypal about an unauthorized charge and it was denied. I contacted twitch but all they did was direct me on how to apply for my account to be reactivated. 

Today i called paypal and talked to the rep but they seemed to have trouble understanding what was happening as the charges showed as automatic payments for both of them. I tried to explain what twitch.tv was and that i only had one subscription for 5 dollars per month. She said they could not reopen the unauthorized claim again but that she would contact twitch so i was no longer using there services because my account was deleted. 

My theory is someone hacked into the account and donated bits to themselves then deleted the account. I cant imagine twitch being to helpful here. 

Please any advice is needed right now. Also both charges have been preapproved but have not went through with the bank yet.

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

PayPal_JonK

Hello @Cajeng,

Thanks for reaching out on our Community Help Forum. I'm sorry to hear about the recent unauthorized activity case on your account. I understand how those situations can be quite concerning. It sounds like our investigation was completed and we were unable to find sufficient evidence showing the transaction was unauthorized. If our next contact with Twitch ends up less than ideal, I would recommend reaching out to your funding source to investigate this further. Best wishes!!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Cajeng
Contributor
Contributor

Damn thats actually pretty scary then. After looking for solutions i see others have had this happen with 4000 dollar charges. This event has put everything in check for me. I was wondering if Paypal had a two step authentication on every purchase? I think for now i will be deleting Paypal as the protection on unauthorized charges has failed me and i cannot afford to chance this or a greater charge happening again.

Login to Me Too

stel1
New Community Member

I had the same problem! I had 3 charges of 499 euros from twich interactive (twitch.tv) and paypal denied that was unauthorized. I contact them immediatelly in the first 4 minutes after the first charge but nothing happend.   I dont even know what twitch.tv is .  I contacted my bank and canceled my visa but had been  already charged 1500 euros. Paypal safety system and judgment dont protect anyone of us . They denied a proven fact of fraud. They close the claim without proviting any further information.

Login to Me Too

Jadre
Contributor
Contributor
the same thing happened to me, but 10 small transactions on 20th of January 2021 at the moment when I was in the bank to block the card, the amount was announced but I was charged anyway I complained to the bank, paypal, tried to contact Twitch, I couldn't solve anything
Login to Me Too

antc
Contributor
Contributor

Just happened to me for $406 plus a few other small transactions. 

Pretty sure I'm not getting my money back.

Login to Me Too

Yunichi
Contributor
Contributor
I have 3 unauthorized charge from *TWITCHINTER (I guess twitch interaction) First charge: 1965.34€ Second charge: 1977.33€ Third charge: 2037.42€ What I need to do? This is happen after I purchase a subscription coin form the twitch app for mobile phone (6.99€) This is so scary
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Yunichi 

Check if you had a subscription set up.
Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > "manage pre-approved payments.''

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

R4G3RUNER
I've been having tries of payments to twitchinter for 1797 pounds for the past week. I changed my PayPal password twice but they still continue trying to go through. I never had an outright twitch sub, I get mine from Amazon prime. So, someone got hold of my PayPal account and they even tried all my cards today. I've contacted support and waiting at this point after deleting all my cards from my PayPal account..
Login to Me Too

neock
New Community Member

honestly, this is a growing issue on amazon/twitch, and they refuse to admit theres a problem. had this happen to me, but luckly i have my banking locked down so unless i approve a transaction with a secondary passcode (not 2Fa...) then a transaction is declined. this is the problem with digital transactions. its easy to hack and rob someone but noone wants to admit the problem exists...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.