Travelling outside the US; account limited?

Swiftysmoon
New Community Member

So, I recently was given the opportunity to join a cultural exchange program outside of the US, and the entire process happened really quickly. I hadn't used my paypal account in years, so it didn't even occur to me that it could cause any issues since my contract is only for a year and the only thing I'd used it for recently was to pay for language courses. I ended up needing to transfer some money to my parents while outside of the US, and I logged into my paypal without thinking. Paypal limited my account right afterward. They asked for a bunch of information, which I provided, but it has been over two months since I submitted the information, and I haven't heard anything back yet. I'm only outside of the country for a year as part of this exchange program and I've had the account for over a decade. Is there anything I can even do to have the limitation removed from my account? I have a really hard time believing that others haven't had this problem before.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Swiftysmoon

Paypal is country specific so if you move countries you have to open another paypal account in the country you reside in and add an address / phone number / and bank accounts from within that country.

If you are temporarily in that country and try and use your paypal account then paypals security kick in as they suspect you may have been hijacked and your account used by a scammer in another country.

You would have to pass very strict security controls per payment to convince them it was you, personally I think that security is reassuring.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.