Transaction on my BANK statement however it does not show in my PAYPAL activity

TheMarkMK
Contributor
Contributor

There is a payment in my bank account today at 03:55 for £2.40 from PayPal with an address "Somewhere in C/o GoDaddy, 5th Floor, 252-254 Blyth Ub3 1HA

The payment was declined as I did not have enough money in my account however I did not authorise this payement to my knowledge and further I cannot see this payment anywhere in my PayPal account.

Yet on my bank statment it clearly shows it is from PayPal.

There is a reference:

PAYPAL:*123REGLIMIT 35314369001 GBR

So what is this payment and why does is NOT show on my paypal account and why can this happen without my knowledge?

Any offers of information appreciated.

Luckily I always keep my bank balance at ZERO and transfer money into it when I spend something which has prevented me from losing money a number of times with dodgy retailers... however I get a DECLINED notice on my statement with all of the details as if it has gone through.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Michael

Hello, @TheMarkMK,

The situation you have described certainly poses a concern, but this is something you will need to address with your bank.

PayPal processes payments in a variety of ways, and that means there are times a transaction will not appear in the Activity in a PayPal account. Based on what you mentioned, someone was able to obtain your bank account information (or your bank card information) and use it to complete an online purchase. They likely did this going through PayPal's Guest Checkout flow.

Please contact your bank to let them know they need to close the affected account or card account, and ask them to take steps to issue a refund. Your bank may tell you to work with PayPal to obtain a refund, but that is not correct, and you can tell them PayPal told you it's something the bank has to address.

You may also mention that the transaction does not appear in your PayPal account which is how we know your bank/card account information, not your PayPal account, was compromised. If the transaction appeared in your Activity, that would mean someone used your PayPal account and PayPal would absolutely take charge, investigate and issue a refund for any confirmed unauthorized activity.

I hope this is helpful, and I hope the situation is resolved by your bank quickly. Take care.

Sincerely,

Michael

PayPal_Michael

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

PayPal_Michael

Hello, @TheMarkMK,

The situation you have described certainly poses a concern, but this is something you will need to address with your bank.

PayPal processes payments in a variety of ways, and that means there are times a transaction will not appear in the Activity in a PayPal account. Based on what you mentioned, someone was able to obtain your bank account information (or your bank card information) and use it to complete an online purchase. They likely did this going through PayPal's Guest Checkout flow.

Please contact your bank to let them know they need to close the affected account or card account, and ask them to take steps to issue a refund. Your bank may tell you to work with PayPal to obtain a refund, but that is not correct, and you can tell them PayPal told you it's something the bank has to address.

You may also mention that the transaction does not appear in your PayPal account which is how we know your bank/card account information, not your PayPal account, was compromised. If the transaction appeared in your Activity, that would mean someone used your PayPal account and PayPal would absolutely take charge, investigate and issue a refund for any confirmed unauthorized activity.

I hope this is helpful, and I hope the situation is resolved by your bank quickly. Take care.

Sincerely,

Michael

PayPal_Michael

Login to Me Too

TheMarkMK
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply.

It looks like someone has got my card details then and using PayPal guest as a checkout.

I am very careful with my card details and have only just joined PayPal.

I've had instances before when I give companies my card details, cancelled their service and they have tried to charge me.

I have never had an instance ever before where someone has tried to pay for something for some service I have never been linked to ever before.

It is a bit worrying... I have 2 factor auth switched on for all of my accounts, google, paypal, everything where I can.

Actually I don't need a refund as I keep my account balance at ZERO always with no overdraft and have a seperate savings account and I transfer money exactly when I need it.  If I go shopping at it's £48.33 then I transfer £50 into my current account at the time.

My bank will never authorise a payment if I go overdrawn as I use a basic account for this reason.

Anyway, I've cancelled my card and ordered a new one.... 

I don't think in the future I will give PayPal details of my card... they can do direct debit only which I definitely have to login for.

Regardless, all, I thank you for your response.

Mark

Login to Me Too

TheMarkMK
Contributor
Contributor

AS a quick follow up...

I contacted PayPal about this fraud yesterday at 5pm with a chat session. They said it will take 2 hours to get back to me.

It's now 1am in the morning next day and this query is about a potential customer fraud on account and I am very surprised it's already 8 hours and they haven't actually got back to me yet.

You were much quicker!  Surely possible fraud should be a priority for PayPal?   I've only just joined so I am new to this.

Here is chat log so far:

PayPal Assistant

5:43 PM

Hi! I'm your PayPal Assistant. I can help with common questions like "what's the status of my dispute" or "I want a refund".

If I can't help, I'll transfer your message to an agent.

Mark Arnold

I see a transaction on my bank statement that I cannot find on PayPal and did not authroise to my knowledge.

PayPal Assistant

It looks like you want to report an unauthorized transaction, is that correct?

Mark Arnold

No

(I tried YES but only transactions I did not want to dispute appeared so in the end I had to click NO!)

PayPal Assistant

I found some articles in our Help Center that might help you. Check them out! If you need more help, please type “need more help".

Mark Arnold

5:44 PM

need more help

PayPal Assistant

I can transfer this conversation to an agent. The estimated response time is a few hours.

Our customer service staffing is limited due to the coronavirus (covid-19) crisis. We've put together some useful information in the Help Center to quickly resolve your issue. I'll stay here while you take a look.

After I transfer the conversation, you can close the window and come back to it when it’s convenient for you. When we respond, we’ll send you a notification with a link to the Message Center where you can reply.

Would you like to transfer this conversation to an agent?

Mark Arnold

Yes

PayPal Assistant

Please send us a detailed message below and an agent will respond as soon as possible. If you have a related transaction ID, date, and amount, please include it here.

Mark Arnold

5:46 PM

There is a payment in my bank account today at 03:55 for £2.40 from PayPal with an address "Somewhere in C/o GoDaddy, 5th Floor, 252-254 Blyth Ub3 1HA

The payment was declined as I did not have enough money in my account however I did not authrise this payement to my knowledge and further I cannot see this payment anywhere in my PayPal account.

Yet on my bank statment it clearly shows it is from PayPal.

There is a reference:

PAYPA:*123LIMIT35314369001 GBR

PAYPAL:*123REGLIMIT 35314369001 GBR

So what is this payment and why doesnt it show on my paypal account and why can this happen without my knowledge?

hello? It's been like 5-6 hours now!

Messages are dealt with in the order they’re received. When we reply, you'll receive a notification in your app, PayPal account and email. Thank you.

Mark Arnold

12:30 AM

I did put this to the PayPal community and I got this back.

Hello, @TheMarkMK, The situation you have described certainly poses a concern, but this is something you will need to address with your bank. PayPal processes payments in a variety of ways, and that means there are times a transaction will not appear in the Activity in a PayPal account. Based on what you mentioned, someone was able to obtain your bank account information (or your bank card information) and use it to complete an online purchase. They likely did this going through PayPal's Guest Checkout flow. Please contact your bank to let them know they need to close the affected account or card account, and ask them to take steps to issue a refund. Your bank may tell you to work with PayPal to obtain a refund, but that is not correct, and you can tell them PayPal told you it's something the bank has to address. You may also mention that the transaction does not appear in your PayPal account which is how we know your bank/card account information, not your PayPal account, was compromised. If the transaction appeared in your Activity, that would mean someone used your PayPal account and PayPal would absolutely take charge, investigate and issue a refund for any confirmed unauthorized activity. I hope this is helpful, and I hope the situation is resolved by your bank quickly. Take care. Sincerely, Michael PayPal_Michael

So did someone use my card as a GUEST account?

I will be honest with CARD FRAUD I thought you might response a bit quicker than 8 hours!

Should I cancel my card or not?

Original wait time was 2 hours you stated.

That was 5pm today. It is now nearly 1am the next day.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.