Transaction on Hold, I Need to Provide Date of Birth of a Person's Name Listed in the Description

jerrymtz
Contributor
Contributor

Good morning, I've sent a payment for $230.00 to another PayPal user, and my account was put on hold and PayPal is requesting me the date of birth of a name that was listed on the description of the payment. While I agree that PayPal can request information on the transactions to clarify things, I do not believe it's on their legal capacity to hold my money and request personal information on a name listed on the transaction. I have requested more than 4 times to get details on why they need that particular information, and the only response is that they need the Date of Birth to unblock my account. Has anybody encountered this issue before? After that I have sent twice the request to cancel the transaction (because they already took my money from the bank), and return my payment, but the only reply I get is that I need to provide the requested information. My account is set up and they do have my information (that includes my date of birth).

last message from 12/03/2020 here:

PayPal is committed to complying with and meeting its global regulatory obligations. As part of our regulatory obligations, we regularly screen information and payments transacting through the PayPal system. During one of these screenings, we noticed an issue concerning a recent transaction.

To resolve the compliance inquiry in a timely fashion, PayPal is requesting that you provide the following information:

On November 16, 2020, you sent a payment (xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) for the amount of $230.00 for, "Tuition for Xxxx Xxxx spring 2021." Please provide the following information:

• The date of birth for Xxxx Xxxx .

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

MyDjSoundLights
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Jerry

what's the status on your case? did PayPal provided you in writing the global regulatory guidance about providing the date of Birth of a 3rd party for us to be able to get our money back?

I have similar issue.

Thank you

Login to Me Too

jerrymtz
Contributor
Contributor

They did not provide the regulatory details, but just sent me a more threating email, so I ended up providing the date of birth to remove the account limitation. The issue is that the transaction is still shown as pending, and have not seen the money either transferred successfully to the recipient, nor given back to me 😞  Let me know how it goes for you.

Login to Me Too

bbbbb4
Contributor
Contributor

@jerrymtz  @MyDjSoundLights  Hi what ever happened after? did you get it resolved. if so, how? 

Login to Me Too

jerrymtz
Contributor
Contributor

I provided the date of birth in the end as I wanted to get over with this, and even though they unfroze my account, the money is still shown as pending. I have continued to contact them, but I just kept getting ignored.

Login to Me Too

bbbbb4
Contributor
Contributor

@jerrymtz  Wow the money is still pending 4 months later?? 

Login to Me Too

jerrymtz
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, and no signs to get it back yet.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.