Transaction not covered by PayPal Purchase Protection.

sammchan
Contributor
Contributor

I recently tried purchasing an item from another buyer however, they did not give me the item upon full payment. I then filed a resolution centre complaint but they said I was ineligible for Purchase Protection as it said my purchase was "Authorised". I cannot send another resolution centre complaint anymore about this matter and I find this very unfair, as I have just lost a lot of money from this scammer. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sammchan 

Sounds as if you used the friends / family option to send the payment?

If so then you sent a 'gift' of money to someone and so would not need buyer protection as you were not paying for goods.

The only option that would appear then would be unauthorised but as you did authorise the transaction then the dispute would be closed.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

sammchan
Contributor
Contributor

Am I able to escalate to consulting the bank about the transaction? It is about a digital good, so would I be able to receive a chargeback from the bank?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sammchan 

If paypal does not help you then yes reach out to your bank but normally if you used a debit card they only refund as a goodwill gesture, you get more cover from a credit card but no harm asking is there especially if you are a good customer of the bank.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Kogilavani

opened a case for fraudulent as the item that was sent was a cardboard instead of touch screen monitor. The seller responded saying he offering partial refund. which I don't agree at all. Cos the item was not even an electronic item to begin with. I demanded for full refund and a note to Paypal team to investigate against this seller, as it's a spam and cheater. I could not respond to the system as I am receiving error messages. 

I contacted help desk . PayPal colleague Lloyd Joy responded saying he have attached the note to my dispute case. To my dismay, albeit spending so much time and taking effort to rectify this- team paypal still rejected my dispute. 

The case was closed as this transaction is ineligible for PayPal Purchase Protection.

Pls advice as i can reopen the case.. 

Login to Me Too

tjack1
New Community Member

This just happened to me. My first thought was that it may be a scam but paying through PayPal gave me a false sense of security for getting my money back if it was. Judging by the lack of response, PayPal is now allowing scammers to operate. Defeats the purpose of using PayPal as a protected payment option. There are too many other apps I can use to put up with this. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tjack1 

If you used the friends/family option as the original poster did and the advice on the thread is to do with that kind of transaction then..........

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a gift payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade paying his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time.

You would also not be able to open a dispute apart from one citing an unauthorised transaction but that would be automatically closed as you did authorise the initial payment.

Be careful as using that option for purchasing goods is against Paypal rules and can lead to account limitation.

If you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you but unfortunately they may decline as well as it was a gift payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.