Tracking says package was delivered at front door, USPS confirms it was not.

Ohdeary
Contributor
Contributor

I ordered about $800 in supplies through a supplier using PayPal. The tracking provided says the package was delivered at the front door/porch. I contacted USPS, and they confirmed the package was not delivered to my address. I reached out to the supplier and they have only insured the package for $100. Who will be liable for the lost package if it cannot be located?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ohdeary wrote:

Thank you! Will the seller be liable for my purchase if USPS provides this documentation? Is it their responsibility to pursue mail claims and insure for the full amount?

If the package was misdelivered, USPS is responsible. They need to fix it. If package is insured, then you or the seller can claim it. However, you can try to dispute it through PayPal and give official evidence of a scam or a misdelivery to get your money back and the insurance would be the seller's business to chase up on. If you lose the PayPal dispute because PayPal said it was "delivered" according to tracking, then hit up your credit card to dispute, if that's is how you funded the purchase, provide the evidence and see if they will refund you.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ohdeary 

This supplier either scammed and put a nearby address as the delivery address or the postman delivered to wrong address. 

Open a dispute and get official documentation from USPS of what happened. Either seller shipped to a different street address to scam you or the postman delivered to wrong address. The USPS need to go back to the address and recover package if they mis-delivered. Seller should have signature confirmation if order is worth over $700/750.

The USPS has to say that your street address (spelled out in the letter) is not the address that is on the package in the documentation. If it turns out to be a scam, make a mail fraud report with the US Postal Inspector.

Login to Me Too

Ohdeary
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you! Will the seller be liable for my purchase if USPS provides this documentation? Is it their responsibility to pursue mail claims and insure for the full amount?

Login to Me Too
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ohdeary wrote:

If the package was misdelivered, USPS is responsible. They need to fix it. If package is insured, then you or the seller can claim it. However, you can try to dispute it through PayPal and give official evidence of a scam or a misdelivery to get your money back and the insurance would be the seller's business to chase up on. If you lose the PayPal dispute because PayPal said it was "delivered" according to tracking, then hit up your credit card to dispute, if that's is how you funded the purchase, provide the evidence and see if they will refund you.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.