Toilet paper scame

kromano87
New Community Member

My brother was the victim of a scam online (promised 48 rolls of Charmin and given 12 rolls of a Chinese-brand toilet paper and paid around $60) and paid with Paypal.

We have tried opening 3 disputes (tried two under Billing and one under Unauthorized Activity) and they keep getting closed very quickly.

What can we do to resolve this?

We tried emailing the seller and the email bounces back. Seller's website is also gone. 

PayPal doesn't have anyone answering the phones and the product was purchased March 13th so I don't want his window to close to resolve this. 

Thanks so much for your help!

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kromano87
New Community Member

*scam (not scame) sorry!

Login to Me Too

PotpotHo
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee
Hi @kromano87, when you file the dispute it should be under significantly not as described. Refer to this link to about it. https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/i-didn't-receive-my-item-or-it's-different-than-describe... Thank you.
Login to Me Too

CougarMark
New Community Member

Charmin TP Scam $60.99 for this garbage!!Charmin TP Scam $60.99 for this garbage!!

Login to Me Too

wThompson
Contributor
Contributor
At least yours had a tube in them, the ones I received were just like a roll of gauze.
Login to Me Too

ElJo2
New Community Member

I had the same happen to me.  I was shopping on Target and there was a click through ad to order toilet paper from Hotgrilhomes, which I did, and paid through Paypal assuming I would be protected.  They shipped me a 2" roll of gauze in an envelope and charged me $52.37.  I opened a dispute with a ton of pictures, including the shipping envelope, with Paypal and Paypal notified the shipper, who didn't respond.  30 days later Paypal said I would have to open a policy report and prove that I did this, which I did.  Now they are saying I have to return the 2" piece of gauze to China and then the China company will issue me a refund.  I don't believe I will ever see a refund, and at this point I think Paypal is probably involved and making as much money on this scam as the China company or why else wouldn't they offer some consumer protection to us?  Never use paypal for a payment method, they clearly ARE NOT behind us.  Paypal says I have 10 days to provide proof that I have returned this 2" roll to a chinese address at my expense in order to even keep the resolution open.  Unbelievable.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.