This is not the PAYPAL I remember. Ghost-town with no help on scams

Darksinister669
New Community Member

So I bought something from China and it was the wrong item. (SHOCKER)...

I put in a claim and PAYPAL sends me a message, "Good news the seller will refund your money. Just send it back in the original package."
So I am trying to talk to someone.. A PERSON. however everything just sends you to automation. The damn thing will cost more to ship back then what I'll be reimbursed. I tried contacting the seller, but (another shocker) there is no working contact information. I ask PAYPAL's super friendly robots for the contact information.. seeing as some how they've contacted the seller. All I get is automated responses to go to the resolution page. I'm hoping one last contact email works. This is a huge hassle. 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

This is exactly what happened to me and dozens if not hundreds of people. I never considered send the worthless item back, knowing full well I'd be falling deeper into the scam if I did. I contacted customer service via chat, answered the bot questions in such a way as to get to a human, then went from there to plead my case, I politely argued how unfair it is to have buyer spend additional money, time, and risk catching COVID just to satisfy scammer demand. After about 4 or 5 agents, one finally helped me get full refund without having to send back junk (2 masks) to Hong Kong, the address turned out to be bogus anyway. Even though reps might tell you PayPal's policy require you to return item, tell them it is a "worthless item", I think there is an appeal category named that so the rep can use that to advocate on your behalf. Have to be persistent, some reps are too lazy or too new to know what to do, ask for another to help, don't take no for an answer.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Darksinister669 

In the event of a dispute you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country because....

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ3544

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.