The buyer asked for my paypal account to pay me directly. Am I seller protected?

sjhddh
Contributor
Contributor

I recently sold an item on a second-hand website, and the buyer asked me to give him my Paypal account. He then paid me directly (I don't even have a chance to choose whether it's a goods/service or family/friends transaction, because it was just made into my account).

And then, I posted the item, it was tracked and signed by the buyer with clear evidence. However, after several days, the buyer disputed the transaction from his financial institution (possibly a credit card). I got the amount deducted from my Paypal account straight away, I will then have to file evidence to Paypal's resolution centre. And, PayPal recently gets back to me as well, noting that this transaction is not "seller protected". 😞 

I have then been charged another 12 pounds by Paypal, where they say they are going to dispute the transaction for me against the buyer's financial institution.

Okay, okay, the story is long, and hopefully, PayPal will really help in this circumstance.

What shall I do to enable my seller protection under such circumstances in the future?

If people just paid my Paypal, shall I refund them, and ask them to do G&S instead? (How do I even tell if the payment is a G&S)?

Thank you,

Need help for advices.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sjhddh 

An easy way to tell if its a goods/services payment is that you are charged a fee for those types of payments whereas you are not for friends/family payments.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.