TOMTOP.COM SCAM

kgb81
Contributor
Contributor

I made the unfortunate mistake of ordering from Tomtop.com, as it was recommended in a known tech article. I filed a dispute with PayPal via the resolution center, but unfortunately PayPal is not recognizing this seller as fraudulent. 

• I paid $15 for express shipping, and the item definitely did not ship in an express manner. 
  • Communication with Tomtop was lacking and what did exist was very poor and unclear. 
  • Though the item arrived LATE, DAMAGED, and was NOT AS DESCRIBED, PayPal considers shipping the item back at my cost to resolve the matter.

Issues with returning shipping

• DHL and USPS can not locate the address Tomtop.com provided PayPal.
  • In general, shipping back to China will cost approximately $80+.
  • The item came to me from California. 

I have trusted PayPal for several years and they have always provided quick resolutions for dealing with questionable and fraudulent merchants. This no longer seems to be the case.

I am not able to respond to the dispute via the resolution center. The only option I am provided is to upload the return tracking information. Ironically, I cannot upload the return tracking information because the return address provided to PayPal is not valid, and as stands, the return plus original shipping cost almost as much as the device. Furthermore, I am unable to tell PayPal this, because I cannot respond to my case. 

Does PayPal track continual complaints with merchants? I found additional complaints filed via PayPal against Tomtop.com from Germany. 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

mimiyoga
Contributor
Contributor

I had a similar issue with items that arrived VERY inferior quality, wrong sizes, unusable.

Vendor offered $35 to end dispute of $115, which I said was not enough. I was willing to send items back and was given an address in China (in Chinese) and the post office could not decipher or provide tracking number. When I asked for a translation on address, everything happened quickly over a short period including a weekend, Paypal closed any resolution and favored with the vendor.  Where do I go from here? Am I out all this money ? 

Login to Me Too

kgb81
Contributor
Contributor
I just filed a complaint against PayPal with the Better Business Bureau. Additionally, though the FTC will not be able to directly resolve my issue with TomTop, I will register a complaint in hopes this company will not be able to ship to the U.S.
Login to Me Too

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

You can contact PP customer service via chat, get to a live agent and explain the situation, the reps may tell youo the same thing over and over again; but be persistent and ask to talk with a supervisor or manager; do it nicely and hold your anger, the reps are human, one of them might decide to help.

Other things you can do, file complaint against merchant at ic3.gov if you think a crime has been committed.

Contact your local newspaper, TV station (check their website for a link), about PP's practice, might make a good news story.

KTLA nn Los Angelesis an independent station that gets air play across the country, you cna try them

https://ktla.com/about-ktla/contact-us/submit-news-tips-and-story-ideas/

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.