Suing PayPal in small court

rashid93
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, 

I have an issue with paypal where they banned my account permanently and i can not get my money till after 6 months. i have done nothing wrong to be banned and they say it is because the acceptable use policy. i have contacted them many times with no human response and keep getting automated response. 

i will file a claim in small court and see how it goes because legally paypal can not hold peoples money for 6 months simply because they are not above the law and everyone should obey the law. without a judge ordering them to hold the money they have no right to hold it just because they are a big corporation and can do so. i will make this publicly and will notify many media outlets about the issue to teach those people a lesson on not **bleep** people with their practices just because they are a big corporation an think they are above the law. i hope many people will do the same so they can know that people have power and can file claims where a judge can hear them instead if emailing their computers.

BTW everyone can file a claim in small court even if they have in the agreement that you cannot do so. they will send you threats to scare you but remember that they are not the law and in this free country, you can have a judge hear you out.

what do you all think 

Login to Me Too
153 REPLIES 153

Freshanon
Contributor
Contributor
Also having a issue.. never a single return, case or blemish since 2011. Now, I run 2 online businesses and sell random items via eBay, again, zero issues.. had an AMSO g sell day and had about $4700 paid while I was sleeping into PayPal.. normal, but not at night hours.. I move about 8-19k a month in sales. PayPal locked my account.. I called and managed to get a supervisor on the phone who worked with me. Prior, the pointless customer service person kept saying, “nothing can be done” Wow, such great employees they hire.. anyway.. Account was retired the next day. Immediately after that, PayPal puts a 40% rolling reserve for 99 days!!! So now, 40% of my $ is now held by PayPal due to no exact reason. I make profit off my business but not 40% net profit let sale, few business do, if any. So now, I’m forced to struggle, figure stuff out and possible have business slow down, due to a policy PayPal can’t even make sense of. Total BS! All they say now is, “refer to the policy” Imagine, 40% of your salary on hold for a rolling 90 days, let alone, pay bills, utilities, buy products and keep business cost running, oh, and right before the holidays. It’s disgusting payouts to monitored better by a legal system and banks. I would lovveeeeee to sue them and get my $ back and never use them ever in my life
Login to Me Too

Nikoli1803
Contributor
Contributor
I am looking to sue PayPal too! There a **bleep**ing scam company who hold your money up to 90days in an offshore account making them money when I’ve sent items and the items have been received by buyer weeks after and they still hold the money saying because no tracking was supplied because it was sent with a 1st class stamp they have every right to hold my money! Even when the customer has contacted PayPal to say they have received my item and are happy they still want to hold it up to 90 days! It’s ridiculous and I’m sick of selling items on shpock or eBay to be held my funds up to 90 days saying it’s a security issue and we have to hold the funds! **bleep**
Login to Me Too

weaselworksco
Contributor
Contributor
Have $213 in the account and had to turn down a $170 and $600 sale due to the limitation which popped up after I went to transfer the money to my bank account. This is a business account, not a personal one. They limited and then banned my personal one because I sold a stone through it (~$27) and refused to accept any explanation for lack of receipt (how do I get a vendor's receipt from a rock that I collect myself?????) I do lapidary and self collect my own specimens and pieces for cabbing and shaping.
Login to Me Too

KevRoq
New Community Member
I've used PayPal to buy countless times I sold my brembo big brake kit about 5-6 months ago and I have had 0 tries getting ahold of them. I got corporate on the phone and they said there department does not deal with that part of Business, just a waste of time. So ebay took thier money and so did paypal, from 1100 I o ly get 894.00 usd and on top of that they're holding my money and avoiding all my emails I had bills to pay during covid hardest times and this hold caused me lots of damage in fees because of it and credit issues. Super upset really want to sue
Login to Me Too

Barksla
Contributor
Contributor

Our story:

We're a small business in Idaho. We had been selling on eBay for well over 10 years. We only accepted PayPal during this time. We've done millions in business through eBay and PayPal. In October of 2019 we received a closure email for violating PayPal's AUP policy. After hours of trying to figure out what or how we violated the policy we finally gave in and accepted our fate. 

Our account had a positive balance which would be help for 180 days. That date came up. I received an email requesting I change the password on the account, which I did. While logged in I checked on the status of the balance. I was horrified to see the following transaction: $8,345.76 USD;PayPal Posting Date:Mar 18, 2020;Payment to:Paypal;PayPal's damages caused by Acceptable Use Policy violation;.

PayPal, without even sending an email or any sort of correspondence (no transaction receipt email) simply took the money. After numerous numbers of emails trying to understand how this worked. I received this message through the message center:

"Thank you for contacting PayPal.

PayPal maintains an Acceptable Use Policy to identify the types of products and services that are prohibited and those that require pre-approval.

Ultimately, it is the responsibility of the buyers and sellers to ensure they are compliant with all applicable laws. All customers are required to conduct transactions in accordance with the Acceptable Use Policy. Sellers should also carefully read both the eBay Prohibited and Restricted Items Policy and the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy if they plan to use PayPal as their payment processor for eBay auctions, storefronts, and websites. Failure to comply with these policies may result in limitations placed on your ability to use the PayPal system.
For further information, please go to the 'Legal Agreements" link located at the bottom of any PayPal webpage and click the "Acceptable Use Policy" link.

If you violate the Acceptable Use Policy, we may hold your funds up to 180 Days, may debit your PayPal account up to $2,500.00 USD  for each such violation and may take legal action against you to recover additional losses we incur. 

When you accepted the PayPal User Agreement you agreed that $2,500.00 USD   per AUP violation is a reasonable minimum estimate of PayPal's actual damages, considering all currently existing circumstances, including the relationship of the sum to the range of harm to PayPal that reasonably could be anticipated because, due to the nature of the violations of the Acceptable Use Policy, actual damages would be impractical or extremely difficult to calculate . PayPal may deduct such damages directly from any existing PayPal balance in any PayPal Account you created, own and or control.

The specific activities that may subject you to fines by PayPal can be found in the Acceptable Use Policy"

Now, PayPal does NOT actually provide their complete AUP. If you've ever read the AUP they link you to it's so incredibly vague that anyone and anything could violate it at any time. 

I have filed claims with the BBB, CA AG, ID AG, and pretty much everyone else I can think of. 

P.S. Stop using PayPal. They do not care about you. They will not help you. When they decide you're no longer an asset they will cancel your account and confiscate your money guised under the vague language in their AUP.

Login to Me Too

sheree-nc
Contributor
Contributor
Sounds to me like you need to acquire legal counsel. Did you click a link in an email to change acct info? That's dangerous because it could be a phishing email trying to get your login info. Always go to PayPal via their website; never through an email. If you did everything legitimately, then getting legal help with getting your money back is the only option at this point.
Login to Me Too

callmezia

They put my account on limitation and I do not have any idea why, it happened last July 2020. And I still have remaining money on my account for $207. And I waited for months since they are holding my funds and said they have 180 days to review all transactions. And now Jan. 01, 2021 PAYPal stole my money, they got my $207 and charge as correction fee for damages done to Paypal. Like what the he**, there is no damage and clearly no transactions or customers complain from my ebay account. No refunds made as well. They just stole my money. And I am gonna file small claims for this one.

Login to Me Too

THE-HUMAN-UNIT
Contributor
Contributor
I provided a consultation to my customer in a service, my customer paid me $500. I was able to withdrW $100 initially and then paypal frozen my account and said they would hold my funds for 180 days. I thought to myself if paypal holds $500 from 1 million people for 6 months at 6% interest. Paypal would receive $30 million in interest over the 6 month period without providing any product or service to its customers. Its like paypal forces us to give it a $500 million dollar loan but paypal keeps the interest earned and pays back the principle. I wish I could get a loan like that. I could force a bank to give me a million loan and I keep the million for 1 year, earn and keep $600,000 in interest and only pay the bank back the million. This seems illegal to me.
Login to Me Too

Durashutter
New Community Member
I am an inventor with 48 patent awards. I have been with PayPal for 20 years and last week PayPal demanded without notice I provided a list of legal documents including tax returns. I have tried for weeks making countless attempts to get hold of a human and cannot. So sad to see what was a great company go down hill so far - PayPal has moved into the “bad company” status in my opinion and state to loose market share to competitors when we start leaving them
Login to Me Too

floatilla
Contributor
Contributor

how is this not on the news? this is not legal and if it is, why aren't more people speaking out about it?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.