Suing PayPal in small court

rashid93
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, 

I have an issue with paypal where they banned my account permanently and i can not get my money till after 6 months. i have done nothing wrong to be banned and they say it is because the acceptable use policy. i have contacted them many times with no human response and keep getting automated response. 

i will file a claim in small court and see how it goes because legally paypal can not hold peoples money for 6 months simply because they are not above the law and everyone should obey the law. without a judge ordering them to hold the money they have no right to hold it just because they are a big corporation and can do so. i will make this publicly and will notify many media outlets about the issue to teach those people a lesson on not **bleep** people with their practices just because they are a big corporation an think they are above the law. i hope many people will do the same so they can know that people have power and can file claims where a judge can hear them instead if emailing their computers.

BTW everyone can file a claim in small court even if they have in the agreement that you cannot do so. they will send you threats to scare you but remember that they are not the law and in this free country, you can have a judge hear you out.

what do you all think 

Login to Me Too
153 REPLIES 153

Walterjbell1
Contributor
Contributor
PayPal is horrible. I completed my first sale of $550. Everything on EBay side has been above and beyond of my expectations. EBay released my funds to PayPal. I couldn't get access to my finds and I called PayPal. I was told I would have access to my money after delivery. Fine. I scheduled another payment and a trip to see my kids who live out of state. Product is delivered and customer is happy. Still no access to my money. Long story short after the second call, I started recording my conversation. After a total of 8 phone calls between Tuesday (the delivery date) this moment Friday morning, I have 8 different reasons why I didn't get my money. 1. I have a new bank account. Lie. I have the same bank account I receive my direct deposit from work. 2. 12 hours after delivery. 3. 72 hours after delivery. 4. PayPal doesn't want you to release all your funds. 5. I first requested $222 and I saw pending. So I cancelled and called PayPal, the rep said try again. I did for $220, still pending. I called back and was told my bank declined the first transaction. Lie. I declined. 6. We need to verify your bank account works. I told them you already now it works when you send the test transaction. I bank with Chase. 7. We need to review your account and make sure the customer received delivery. Lie. They already have tracking number. 8. Last call PayPal told me they need to review my account. I asked what do you need to review, I can send you a screenshot of my customer happiness over the product and I acn call EBay on a conference call. What do you need to review I stated. Not a clear answer received. I need to sue!!! I've been stressed, lost money, and lost time with kids.
Login to Me Too

ally23luna
New Community Member

I am in the process of opening complaints with the BBB, Treasury department and the GAs office here in California. I have already consulted with a lawyer and PayPal is in the wrong and does not have the authority to withhold my funds with no reason stated. SInce they held my funds (over 4K) all orders have been delivered to customers for 3 weeks now.

PayPal customer service reps have lied to me nonstop and i have recorded them contradicting themselves stating my documents were not received, then them messaging me documents have been received. Then they stated I had to wait another 72 hours, that was 10 days ago. I have called daily and have not been given one bit of information or a resolution.

I strongly feel they do hold said funds in hopes you give up and they can close the accounts, steal your fund. Because it is theft, it is not legal to confiscate or withhold a customers monies.

Wether PayPal likes to admit it or not, one day a big company - just large enough will get **bleep** via eBay and I am positive when that lawsuit hits then  maybe just then they will actually make an conscious effort to do things in a legal proper manner.

Login to Me Too

Ines728
Contributor
Contributor
Why there Isn’t a group legal action against PayPal? There are at least thousands of similar cases of money being illegally held without any reason. Please advise.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ines728 

Because its not 'illegal' and is clearly stated in their user agreement which has been 'legally agreed' in each country Paypal operates.

It states that they can hold payments in some circumstances and for how long before they must be released.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

pedrob92
Contributor
Contributor

How is the process going? Any news?

Paypal has been holding my money "hostage" for 3 Months.

I basically can't do anything about it, they think they can do whatever they want because they have a big company.

Please let us know.

Login to Me Too

sukisomchai
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal  has  been  holding  my  funds  for  over  4  months  now  without  giving  an  explanation  what  the  problem  is.  I  sent  a  certified  letter  to  their  legal  department  without  getting  a  response.  I  also  asked  them  several  times  to  escalate  this  issue  to  their  Executive  Office  but  they  kept  ignoring  my  request.  After  a  few nonsense  messages  from  CS  reps,  they  switched  to  automated  messages  which  don't  address  the  question  why  they  blocked  me  from  getting  access  to  my  funds.  

I  tried  to  request  a  check  and  it  looks  like  they  blocked  this  option  after  I  received  several  checks  at  my  PO  Box.   My  PO  Box  address  has  been  verified  several  times  and  I  sent  them  copies  with  that  address  again  via  certified  mail  because  the  fax  number  where  the  customer  is  supposed  to  fax  the  documents  to  is  not  a  fax  number.  I  went  several  times  to  Office  Max  and  when  they  tried  to fax  the  documents,  there  as  a  voice  saying  "If  you  want  to make  a call  please  hang  up  and  dial  again."   This  seems  to  be  a  phone  line  which  is  not  connected  to  a  fax  number.   Also  strange  that  a  company  which  has  a  sophisticated   IT  system  requires  its  customers  to  send  documents  via  Fax....    In  these  days  only  businesses  have  land  lines  or  fax  lines.

My  account  balance  is  close  to  $ 5,000.-   now  and  the  only  way  to  make  is  withdrawal  seems  to  be  to  file  a  small  claims  case.  

Login to Me Too

Daash86
Contributor
Contributor
Yes you have to file a small claims and make sure you look up the registered agent for your state for the sheriff to serve not the corporate office, which was the information they kept trying to give me for the summons. Depending on the state Florida court dates for my county are 3-4 months out
Login to Me Too

Will885
Contributor
Contributor
PayPal in some cases I agree for them to hold money incase of a dispute or charge back. But lots of products and services we sell or take money for are not covered by PayPal here is a list :- ************************************** Real estate Motorized vehicles Custom-made goods that are significantly not as described Industrial machinery Prepaid cards Items that violate our policies Anything bought in person (not over the internet) Send Money transactions to friends or family Disputes filed more than 180 days after the purchase for item not received and significantly not as described claims Unauthorized transaction claims reported more than 60 days after the transaction date of the transaction Items that were described accurately by the seller I add to this list DEPOSITS for goods ************************************** Now if they are not covered by this protection then I want to know two things 1. Why are they allowed to charge for the protection service that they do not cover for. 2. why do they still insist on holding the money if they are not obligated to refund it. This is a scam. I suggest a big 'ppi' angle on this as people are using PayPal for the purpose of protection Regardless of who is charged for this privilege it is money for nothing. I personally incorporate PayPal fees to the consumer so ultimately its the consumer paying for the protection. Thats protection they will not actually be covered. This I believe would warrant millions to be paid back to consumers. Thoughts??? I would also like to know why it takes days to withdraw some funds that have been released from previous holds yet on other occasions they withdraw instantly. We also pay a premium for customer support yet after many sent emails I have yet to have a human reply. All replys are automated and reiterates the crap you filter through to send the message in the first place. Also for such a huge and profitable company where is live chat? The lack of such service exemplifies how many complaints they are shying away from. If I had the money I would start proceedings.
Login to Me Too

Shileytron
New Community Member
They’ve done this to me as well three separate times now because I’ve had to create a new account with a different email each time. Anytime I’ve spoken to an actual person, they’ve told me that they will not tell me how I have violated the policy. I’m already looking into a lawyer because I am beyond furious. I’m going to attempt to get a small amount of compensation as well as have my PayPal account reinstated permanently.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Shileytron 

If paypal have banned you and no longer want your business then you are not allowed to open other paypal accounts.

If you do then they will be banned as well.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.