Sufficient evidence to prove items were counterfeit?

yteddy
Contributor
Contributor

I bought skincare items from a 3rd party website. The items contain an authentication sticker with a QR code and alphanumeric identification code that can be scanned by the original brand's app to verify authenticity. All of the instructions for the app are contained on the original brand's website. Every item I received from the seller, however, indicates "the QR code doesn't belong to [original brand]."

When I confronted the seller, they blatantly lied and said the original brand had a significant redesign and that their official app no longer works. Instead, they wanted me to scan the QR code using my phone where I was redirected to a website that "verified" the authenticity. When I did this, I was redirected to a website that's not associated with the original brand at all and is clearly a fake. None of this is verifiable on the original brand's website. 

What will be sufficient evidence to prove that the items I received are fake? Is one screenshot of the app enough? I also have screenshots of the app instructions on the original website (which even also show that the authentication sticker looks different than the genuine one), the seller's website indicating all products are authentic, and the fake website I was redirected to. Would an email from the original brand also be helpful? My worry is that the seller will try to claim their fake authentication methods will be enough to "prove" the products I received aren't counterfeit. 

Also, not all of the products I ordered were from this brand so I can't authenticate them but given that my experience shows this website sells counterfeit products, can I request a full refund?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@yteddy 

I'd rather get a letter from the brand manufacturer than screenshots to be honest. Give the brand manufacturer the QR code and have them write back to you on their letter head that it is counterfeit.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@yteddy 

I'd rather get a letter from the brand manufacturer than screenshots to be honest. Give the brand manufacturer the QR code and have them write back to you on their letter head that it is counterfeit.

Login to Me Too

yteddy
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker Thanks for your reply. Since I ordered over 20 products with these verification stickers, is emailing the original retailer just one code sufficient?

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@yteddy 

You're welcome. Send a few for good measure.

Login to Me Too

yteddy
Contributor
Contributor

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.