Suddenly got refunded after dispute with scam site

Neaituppi
Contributor
Contributor

Back in June I opened a dispute about a scam site saying they had expensive guitars for under a hundred. Since I always wanted a high quality guitar for decades, I got taken in, even though I had studied fake scam sites and what they do. But I realized quickly after, it was a scam and I would get nothing.

The scam site sent a bogus tracking number to Paypal, which was for some other delivery to someone else in the same town. Paypal closed the case, and would delete any further messages I would send to them on it. So I could only conclude they were in on it. Since it was so easy for them to contact the scammers to get the tracking number, when I couldn't. They also charged more than the stated charge, and paypal let it through. 

I was very disappointed, and decided I would use Paypal for as little transactions as possible. In fact only when there was nothing else. Because I saw no protection in it. I thought it was done. But two months later, it was reviewed and I got a full refund. I don't know what happened. They got new personell in Paypal? So many people had the same thing happened, that they couldn't ignore it? When they reviewed it, they saw the tracking number was bogus? 

Of course I also learned to take pause and research before buying anything that seems too great a deal. But I am glad there is improvements going on. Unless this is normal, where people that have been **bleep**, get refunded during the review, not the initial automated dispute. 

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.