Stupid purchase on my behalf

Shylothemouse
Contributor
Contributor

I saw this cool wine barrel patio fire pit on a Facebook Ad for $99 on sale regular $399.

I figured it was a good deal and acted a bit to fast and ordered it from this website WPEFS PRO.

The website looked legit. I ordered with a secure checkout with a debit card payment that comes right out of my bank account.

They sent a confirmation with an order # and then pay pal sent a confirmation of the transaction.

Then I decided to start looking at reviews on this item and it came up on quite a few websites for an average price of $3000.00. 

Now i'm thinking scam and sure enough it comes up on pay pal as being a scam so I go to the resolution department and file a claim.

In the mean time the money still has not come out of my bank account so I try to cancel the transaction and it won't let me.

Pay Pal gets back to me and said they will NOT help me with this.

Now when I click on the link to the WPEFS PRO website it does not exist.

I have emailed them to tell them I wish to cancel my purchase and have not heard back.

HELP!!!!!!

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

ghoov2
Contributor
Contributor

I'm beginning to question how much using my Paypal account actually protects me from fraud. I made a purchase just before my statement period ended. It appears that after your Paypal statement is generated, you have to contact the seller and can't freeze the purchase for a period of time or place it into a disputed column. Even after I posted to Paypal a note that the seller was a fraud, had fraudulent mailing address, and disconnected phone, I'm still instructed to wait the designated time period before Paypal will investigate. From other posts on this Paypal thread, it seems questionable as to whether Paypal will even help cancel this transaction. I've placed the disputed amount at my credit card company but question whether it would be more efficient just to just use my credit card and by pass Paypal. Can anyone clarify the situation. Paypay certainly hasn't. In addition, common sense dictates that you research any company that you consider buying online before buying anything. I didn't and regret it now!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jbdeas 

Which dispute did you open? Was it unauthorised which is why it was closed so quickly?

A dispute for an unauthorised transaction is telling paypal that your account was hacked and used without your consent to make that transaction.
Paypal would check IP addresses and devices and close the dispute if it was you that made the transaction.

You are only allowed 1 dispute per transaction so the only way you can get a second dispute opened is to contact Paypal (when and if you can) and see if they will open a second dispute for you.
They may decline citing policies but if you say you made a mistake then they might open a second dispute for you.

If not then if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then consider contacting your card issuer and see if they will help you with a chargeback?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Shylothemouse
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I filed an unauthorized transaction claim as the choices for reason for claim did not fall under my category.

Of course they denied it because it was not unauthorized. I purchased the product 😞

Meanwhile the website does not exist anymore, although I have had contact with someone through an email.

They have ensured me that my shipment is on it's way....ya right. They will not respond to my email asking why I can't find their website anymore.

The $190.00usd did come out of my bank account eventually, but I was trying to cancel the purchase before that happened.

Right now I have a tracking # and am just going to keep tracking it.

I will keep everyone posted as to what becomes of this.

Login to Me Too

ghoov2
Contributor
Contributor

I had much better luck disputing my fraud charge with my credit card company. They immediately removed it from my account.

Login to Me Too

MariF1229
Contributor
Contributor
Not only will PayPal make you wait a certain designated time frame, when it comes down to the end of the resolution time frame, they will continue to advance the date 5 days at a time until the end of time apparently...because they have continued to do this to me for over an extra month already. I originally tried to order this product the same way back on May 8th....I see the same type of ads with variations of the product with pics popping up all over Facebook now. I do my beat to warn folks don’t get taken like I did
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jbdeas 

Paypal does not vet sellers, it would be impossible to vet every seller / merchant / website in the world that added paypal to its website.

I could set up a website in 30 mins, fill it with lovely stolen pictures and price them as 'bargains' so you would all flock to buy from me.

Then by the time i have scammed enough folks and paypal have realised they have loads of disputes against me and decide to block me i have got rid of that website and started over. And if i was in China like a lot of these scammers websites are then not a lot anyone can do about it.

Paypal is no more safe than your credit card (they refuse claims as well for these China scam websites).

Paypal gives you 'some' buyer and 'some' seller protection and the rest is up to all of us to risk assess our own transactions.

Do not buy from these.............

Chinese Web Sites or on Facebook easy to spot so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Mareka1
New Community Member
I have had this same problem. I ordered and paid with PayPal. Can’t locate merchandise received a fake tracking number and all have emailed seller and no response or resolve. I’m really disappointed
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mareka1 

have you opened a dispute for non receipt of item yet? If not then do so providing all the info on the fake tracking number.

if you lose because of that tracking number come back for the best way to appeal.

you have to 'work' the system, others have and get their refunds, good luck.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Pampaul618
Contributor
Contributor
Wondering if anyone has ever received anything. I ordered the same thing in May. Was able to use tracking number today via local post office and it was delivered to somewhere in Coral Springs, FL on July 16???? Emailed them and waiting on response. But, I feel like I will calling my credit card soon to try to get my money back.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.