Storm Media Limited, Fraud?

Jean54
Contributor
Contributor

As I was going through my receipts for taxes I noticed an entry on my PayPal for Storm Media Limited for last July. I order art instructional videos often, but I could not find any other info for this. I was charged $24.92.

Has anyone else had problems with Storm Media Limited? I didn't get whatever this company said I ordered. I don't know what it is.

I would like to warn others that this could be a fraud.

Login to Me Too
1,491 REPLIES 1,491

joes_myth
Contributor
Contributor
I had the same exact problem and paypal incorrectly denied the dispute. I spent some time researching this and realize that there are multiple pieces to this problem. There are many many sellers using Storm Media as their “Payment Gateway”. Storm Media exploits the interface by illegally - completing purchase without buyer consent - adding items and placing order again without buyer consent They are not the real seller but they are the root of the problem here. The third party is the fulfillment center. None of them talk to each other by design. THERE IS NO UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS INTO THE ACCOUNTS BUT THEY ARE COMPLETING ORDERS IN THEIR SYSTEM AFTER YOU FURNISH YOUR DETAILS. PAYPAL needs to pay attention. Storm Media Ltd is the mastermind behind these thousands of problems and should be shut down.
Login to Me Too

amandalimyw92
Contributor
Contributor

@MintJulip , you might want to refer to this entire thread that called out Storm Media as a fradulent company. I was in the same situation, and even after contacting PayPal on FB to change the status to "item not received", apparently I have to send the item back when I didn't receive it at all? And the tracking number and refund email was fake... @PayPal_Siobhán what do you have to say about this and all of the other customers who were defrauded? 

Login to Me Too

MintJulip
Contributor
Contributor
amanadalimyw92, Thank you so much for informing me about Storm Media being a fraudulent companies. I'll never ever deal with them again.
Login to Me Too

Jeanchid
New Community Member
I purchased a boxing reflex ball on 9th March 2019 and have still not received my order. Please look into his for me. Thank you
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jeanchid 

Unfortunately, no one in the forums can look into this matter for you as no one here has access to others' accounts. However, locate the payment transaction in your PayPal account activity, click it, then click "Report a problem" to file an Item Not Received dispute.

The merchant in question is based in HK/China so deliveries may take a while. Keep in mind, you do have 180 days from date of payment to file a dispute so it's possible to allow ample time for delivery. Apparently the merchant is not very communicative due to language issues.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

amandalimyw92
Contributor
Contributor

These sneaky buggers still had the gall to send a message via Shopify that the order has been refunded but the amount is not reflected on my PayPal. Oh please, Storm Media, I'm not born yesterday. I know that emails can be doctored to look like legitimate emails - all I needed to do was to check the real status of my order to see that it's still "Confirmed" and NOT refunded. To top it off, PayPal didn't send any notification about a refund either. So guys, watch out if they try to pull wool over your eyes like this. 

This whole trend of exploiting loopholes in PayPal's system via abandoned carts has to stop! 

Login to Me Too

joes_myth
Contributor
Contributor

This is a one merchant crime wave!  I have seen reports now, not only involving abandoned carts but just outright charges and some of them recurring!  They sneak in $20 - $30 items that slip thru, in the case that I read, there was $700 worth of these charges over time.  Here's the bad news - you only have 180 days to catch them!  Paypal, please respond on how you are investigating this one single vendor that is the subject of the outcries on this thread!

Storm Media Expose

@amandalimyw92 wrote:

These sneaky buggers still had the gall to send a message via Shopify that the order has been refunded but the amount is not reflected on my PayPal. Oh please, Storm Media, I'm not born yesterday. I know that emails can be doctored to look like legitimate emails - all I needed to do was to check the real status of my order to see that it's still "Confirmed" and NOT refunded. To top it off, PayPal didn't send any notification about a refund either. So guys, watch out if they try to pull wool over your eyes like this. 

This whole trend of exploiting loopholes in PayPal's system via abandoned carts has to stop! 

Login to Me Too

amandalimyw92
Contributor
Contributor

Oh my god @joes_myth you can't be serious! In that case I suggest anyone who suspects they're going to be affected to bring up the issue with their banks and get a new card immediately! Apparently if you remove your card from Paypal, any recurring transactions from the card will still be charged. Stop them in their tracks by making the card defunct. 

Login to Me Too

joes_myth
Contributor
Contributor

@amandalimyw92 wrote:

Oh my god @joes_myth you can't be serious! In that case I suggest anyone who suspects they're going to be affected to bring up the issue with their banks and get a new card immediately! Apparently if you remove your card from Paypal, any recurring transactions from the card will still be charged. Stop them in their tracks by making the card defunct. 

----
In my case, they did the abandoned cart exploit.  When I talked the the bank about a chargeback, they did actually want to give me a new card, but I use it for a number of online systems and it would be a hassle to go thru that (I just did a few months ago when it was stolen).   I think they would not dare try it on me again after I called them out.  As of now, Paypal still has not resolved my issue.  I may have to bite the bullet anyway and do the chargeback and get a new card to be safe.  The other option according to the bank was to admit that I did do the purchase and they would do the chargeback for some other disputed reason - this I refuse to do on principle.

As I find out the extent of this carnage, I am more and more appalled by the lack of action on Paypal's side.  I think that since they are aware of the facts, they are complicit and are aiding and abetting the criminal activity.  We need Arya Stark to stick her dagger into this monster!!!

Storm Media Scam Expose
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.