Spam/Fraud Messages from service number 72972 touted as if they're from Paypal

nitin143
New Community Member

Hello all,

Today, 30 Apr2018, I have ordered a HP laptop for 777.00 EUR from Saturn Online shop over Ebay Germany and paid for it through PayPal. I received confirmation emails from Ebay, PayPal and Saturn saying that my payment was successful and my order is currently in process. After few minutes, I received a text message from 72972 to my old phone number (which means this number has been replaced with another new long days ago). The message reads ''[Paypal] A payment of -777,00 EUR to Ihr SATURN (Zahlung über Media-Saturn Deutschland GmbH) on 30 April 2018 was flagged as suspicious. Please reply "1" if you authorized it or "2" if you did not". Seemed to be genuine, I replied with 1 and within no short time, I received another message reading "PayPal: Go online to https://www.paypal.de/mobile for help". This is when I came to conscious and started searching Google for potential fraudulent messages sent by fraudsters from different service number but in vain, I found no one reported 72972 as spam. But with the same text and different numbers were reported as spam. I didn't click on the link in the 2nd message and saved myself from authorizing PayPal to pay them 777.00 EUR. So, I thought of writing this in the community to help others and save them from potential frauds. PayPal should really work a bit hard to tackle these kind of scams. Hope they will. Thanks.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

wong33
New Community Member

Just so happened to me today for the first time ever. I replied 1 and then got a link. I did not click on it. Later they sent it again, this time I replied 1 immediately and it said: "Thanks for your reply. We will mark this payment as "authorized".

I hope this is you @paypal.

Login to Me Too

kooling
New Community Member
Same here: [PayPal] Did you pay -30,00 EUR to ... on 19 September 2019? Reply 1 if yes or 2 if no. [Reply Needed] --- I have not replied of course, not knowing when the this is legitimate. I'm left with the questions: if it is not PayPal, how do they know my number and how do they know I have paid 30 Euros to...? Also, I have made 3 different payments to different companies within five minutes and I've only received this text message for one of these payments.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.