Someone hacked my account?

XTL5000

Hello,

I found out a few hours ago that someone bought airline tickets using my paypal account.  I saw a email from Paypal that I was charge almost $900 for a flight I never booked.  They wiped out my Paypal balance plus took money from my checking account.  I immediatly called Paypal for help and they opened a ticket.  I have also changed my password + security questions. 

Does anyone know the success in getting money back?  How long does this take?  How could someone hack into my account?

Thanks,

Joe

Login to Me Too
48 REPLIES 48

joecool1888
Contributor
Contributor

I too was hacked, Im out $400, opened a dispute, but from reading these other comments looks like Im **bleep**. I can NOT believe Paypal is so careless .I will no longer use paypal, and will pass on this to others so they do not have to deal with this ....Good luck everyone. Hopefully carma gets these hackers. 

Login to Me Too

FrontGang
New Community Member

Paypal is the most UNSECURED platform in the world. If it were a Bank, then it would have failed. Thousands if not millions of their users get hacked every year and yet they DO NOTHING to at least try to catch the thieves or improve their security features in order to stay ahead of the game. Hackers are getting smarter and Paypal has become complacent or at least an enabler in this scheme. I have NEVER been hacked or my money stolen from me. It happened once I opened a Paypal account and about US$1500 was stolen from my account in real time.

At this rate, I think a class action suit is what is required to solve this problem...

Login to Me Too

Grahon
New Community Member

The same situation, account was hacked and was done a few unauthorized transactions from my account, when I created dispute PayPal closed it about 1-2 hours and told that all was OK. I tried calling them, but they never working. I tried send them mail - they always answer, that didnt found any problem with my account and this transactions was done by me.

I believe, that I will never use this serves and will nobody recommend it.

Login to Me Too

Corrinna
New Community Member
Found out someone hacked my account this evening. They placed a provider(Nike.com) into my authorised payments. They then placed £150 goods. Money was taken from my bank account. Couldn’t stop the pending payments before they went as they had placed into authorised payments. This meant that they didn’t need me to click and authorise the payment. This meant that the payment could go ahead without me actually authorising it. It was also done at 8pm long after I could speak to pay pal. I live on a fixed income and this has emptied my account of nearly all my money. Leaving me Very little to live on for the next fortnight. I’m so upset that pay pal could let this happen.
Login to Me Too

I know my money in PayPal is dollar and now it becomes piso how it happened I was wondering why it happened.
Login to Me Too

RHONE1958
Contributor
Contributor
I am requesting my cash out winnings of $1837.12
Login to Me Too

CJH84
I have the same problem now, but PayPal is trying to tell me the transactions are not fraud. They have been extremely slow and unhelpful.
Login to Me Too

Reconos
Im going throu the exact same thing today. I received a sms: PayPal: For your protection, we've limited your account due to potential unusual activity. Log in to your PayPal account for more info and next steps. Couldnt log on with my mail, but managed with my phone number and noticed that someone had sent a total of 1800$ to 2 diffrent receiver. Opened a case that was closed 2 hours later with a reply that there was no unauthorized access. But whenever i login i recieve a txt message, so security should be in place, but how did they manage to login and bypass that..... Im now in debt 😞
Login to Me Too

Maplemangler
Contributor
Contributor

Same. I got hacked. They limited my account. I called customer service to get back in, because there was unauthorized payments. Challenged them. Paypal won't refund the money, despite the customer service person saying they understood my account had been accessed and payments sent out against my wishes. 

Sad to say but I'm thinking after 15 years it's time to close down the account. If they aren't going to help and actually protect my account or assist when it gets hacked then what is the point of having it? 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.