Someone hacked my account?

XTL5000

Hello,

I found out a few hours ago that someone bought airline tickets using my paypal account.  I saw a email from Paypal that I was charge almost $900 for a flight I never booked.  They wiped out my Paypal balance plus took money from my checking account.  I immediatly called Paypal for help and they opened a ticket.  I have also changed my password + security questions. 

Does anyone know the success in getting money back?  How long does this take?  How could someone hack into my account?

Thanks,

Joe

Login to Me Too
48 REPLIES 48

tparlos
Contributor
Contributor

My account was hacked yesterday night and the super fast answer from Resolution Centre was the same: The transaction was not unauthorised, case closed.

How can anyone trust paypal after that?

Login to Me Too

MM-Lazowska

My account was hacked last night and I got the same message - there was not unauthorised acces. I'm certain, I did not purchase any traffic bot service, but PayPal ignores my explains and takes the thief's side.

Login to Me Too

tparlos
Contributor
Contributor
If they really wanted to help their "valued customers" they would make the 2way identification standard for all accounts and let anyone who wants to take the risk disable the feature. They know what is happening for sure but if they stop hacking they will lose profits. I have deleted all credit cards and bank accounts from PayPal and will never use it again, even for eBay. I will use only trusted sites and I will inform everyone I know and every forum for what is happening in PayPal.
Login to Me Too

cmgonsalves
Contributor
Contributor

paypal holds our money (paypal cash balance) In fdic insured accounts and because of that needs to provide reasonable access to our funds.. they are in serious violation with this and if we organize ourselves here and on other forums we could very easily sign our names onto a class action lawsuit.. we may never see a dime of our money but it will be the first step in bringing paypals outrageous business practices to the public eye... one of us vs the multi national conglomerate paypal corporation dont stand a chance but in numbers we can have all the power and make them answer for their actions... they accept our money under false advertising, then they mark our deposit as available to abide by the guidelines of their fdic insured deposit account, however we do  not have access to this available balance.. also mind you while our deposit are being held they profit from accrued interest from OUR deposits... so either we stick together and sign a class action suit against them or we bend over and let them continue to rape us of our constitutional rights... only in numbers will we be heard.... 

Login to Me Too

victorp1
Contributor
Contributor

This just happened today.

Last night while sleeping received 3 text messages from PP asking for a transaction to be authorized.  When checking the phone this morning replied 2 as instructed to deny the transaction but it was too late.  PP had already processed the transaction and took the total amount from my checking account ($3040.00), now my account is in overdraft and soon fees will start to creep up.

Opened a dispute on PP and my bank.  PP closed the dispute indicating that the transaction wasn't covered because was authorized.  Have been trying to get a hold of someone thru messaging and calls to no avail, the phone message says that there are no reps available due to the pandemic.  Someone took a quick look and decided against me but no word on my messages.

Is amazing that PP has a text confirmation system and if the text is left unanswered they go ahead and proceed or could have been that my number was spoofed by the person that hacked my account and replied?  I don't know but all I know is that I would like to see the logs and IP addresses used on this transaction and I'm not giving up without a fight, loosing 3k that I don't even have is not fun.

After this is settled I'll remove my bank account information, will only use a card that has protection against this crap and maybe remove my account and find another way.

Login to Me Too

victorp1
Contributor
Contributor

This feels like a loosing battle, have been trying to talk to someone regarding my case and all I get are denials, they seem to be playing the deny and delay game to see if I give up.

All I can do is open new disputes and hope for someone sympathetic enough to read thru it, contact cyber security and do an actual investigation.  They have been consistent in blaming me for the transaction.

Will open another dispute and give it another go using a different tone and hopefully more details from what I have been able to compile.

Login to Me Too

EightBitRanger
New Community Member
This just happened to a friend of mine to the tune of $3,000 CAD. I've never had any major issues with PayPal over the years; couple minor hiccups that were resolved fairly quickly. But seeing how this seems to be kind of a widespread issue and they don't really seem to be doing anything about it is worrying. My friend is a recent university graduate with tens of thousands in student debt, not working much at the moment because of the pandemic, then some fraudster breaks into her PayPal account and sends $3000 to themselves but PayPal closes the dispute without really investigating and calls it legitimate? Not cool.
Login to Me Too

Manvel1990
Contributor
Contributor

My account was hacked i cannot login it and there was a transaction 2 times help me to get back my money and account. this is me new account 

Login to Me Too

Arlekkin
Contributor
Contributor

Like most of you over this thread, my account was hacked on the 28th of February at around 00:20 in the morning, and the amount of €514.76 were sent out. Seeing that thetransaction went through, the hackerfelt more generous and decided to first try a bigger amount than the original one and latr a smaller amount,ut unfortunately for him these last 2 transactions did not pass through, as I didn't have enough money left in my debit credit, so either the hacker gave up or because I manage to change the password of my account, there was no 4th attempt. (if all payments would have passed through I would be under by around €1550). So like all of you I opened a dispute with paypal, and as you all might have guessed, my dispute was shot down stating that the transaction was not unauthorised. In the meantime I managed to contact my bank to effect a chargeback which was done some 3 weeks later. So what does paypal do? They limited my account, mess up their system so that I cannot change once more my password as instructed to remove the limitation on my account, re-opened the dispute but this time in favour of the hacker which they are referring as seller, and the foreign bank is contesting the chargeback. So if the case is upscaled and brought in front of VISA, and if I lose the case, not only I will have to return back the money stolen from me in the first place, but I will have to pay a charge of €500, and that's because of the sheer incompetence of Paypal. To add insult to injury, when I complained through facebook messenger about the limitations, the customer care representative instructed me to call Paypal - that is spending some €40 - €50 international phonecall to have a mess they started solved. 

Now I will have to wait and see if my case holds. As soon as this case is closed, I'm further limiting my Paypal usage, as unfortunately some online shops or sellers accept paypal only. I cannot trust my money with such an untrustworthy company.       

Login to Me Too

Anvarkarimo
My account
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.