Someone hacked my account?

XTL5000

Hello,

I found out a few hours ago that someone bought airline tickets using my paypal account.  I saw a email from Paypal that I was charge almost $900 for a flight I never booked.  They wiped out my Paypal balance plus took money from my checking account.  I immediatly called Paypal for help and they opened a ticket.  I have also changed my password + security questions. 

Does anyone know the success in getting money back?  How long does this take?  How could someone hack into my account?

Thanks,

Joe

Login to Me Too
48 REPLIES 48

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

It depends on what happened and what device was used.

It depends on the details in your checking accont.

It's time to check the security of all devicies you use and to investigate who has access to your devices and credit cards?  Does anyone else live with you?  Has anyone else ever used your account on one of your devices?

It's time to do your own investigation.

What is your idea how someone got into your PayPal account?

Login to Me Too

XTL5000

Hi DPCreations,

The paypal representative said someone could have gotten access to my paypal account through a fraud Facebook link.  No one knows my password and I do not have auto log in so I dont know how else someone could use my account.  My checking account was charged because the ticket cost more money than what was in my paypal balance.  My accounts are linked so it took money out of my checking account automatically. 

I am stumped, worried and just hope I can get my money back.

Thanks

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

If PayPal finds it was a hack you should get your money back.  But, if PayPal finds the access was actually through your internet access or that you left your Facebook account insecure, then you would be out the money.

Login to Me Too

enyoutees
this happened to me yesterday
Login to Me Too

AVIE001
Contributor
Contributor
I now owe paypal 273 + had 400 put in my act on 1st Aug have no money in my bank act either and my statements when go online is different to the one on my PayPal app nt spoke paypal yet have emailed them
Login to Me Too

Chupa007
New Community Member

<removed>

Login to Me Too

Turkijan
Contributor
Contributor

Jabrock87
New Community Member

On 8-6-2017 someone wiped out my account for 604.81 to buy an American Airlines ticket. How could this happen and what do I do to get it fixed?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.