Someone created an account with my email

aminc
New Community Member

Hello,

Someone in India has created a Paypal account with my email (not this one that I am writing from). I called Paypal Sweden but they are closed. Then I called Paypal UK which said that they cannot do anything to accounts not created in the UK. I tried to change the account's password but I cannot access it since it is using two-step verification with an Indian phone number. The Indian user has already purchased something with the account.

Paypal has not made it easy to solve this issue. Basically, at this point, the right to use my very own email account belongs to someone else. I am not spending any more time and money to call international call centres. Could someone please provide a direct email which I can use to report this fraud?

P.S. Imagine if this happened to someone without a Paypal account. How would they contact Paypal? It's impossible to do without having/creating a Paypal account.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@aminc 

It's not fraud unless the person in India is spending your money, logging into your PayPal account. The only way to resolve it is to create a new email address and add it to your PayPal account as the new primary email address. PayPal cannot force the other person to change their email address. They can request it of the other person but that's as far as they can go with it if the other person refuses or ignores the request.

So you can't even log on to your PayPal account because this person is using the same email address? This is not the first time this type of situation has been reported here. I've seen it couple times fairly recently. It's very odd that this could happen. You'd think the system would give an error message if an email address is already been used. 

Have you tried contacting PayPal via social media?

Try private message via social media:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter: @AskPayPal

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@aminc 

It's not fraud unless the person in India is spending your money, logging into your PayPal account. The only way to resolve it is to create a new email address and add it to your PayPal account as the new primary email address. PayPal cannot force the other person to change their email address. They can request it of the other person but that's as far as they can go with it if the other person refuses or ignores the request.

So you can't even log on to your PayPal account because this person is using the same email address? This is not the first time this type of situation has been reported here. I've seen it couple times fairly recently. It's very odd that this could happen. You'd think the system would give an error message if an email address is already been used. 

Have you tried contacting PayPal via social media?

Try private message via social media:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter: @AskPayPal

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

aminc
New Community Member

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.