So anyone who isn't from the country they're residing in, CANNOT confirm their identity?

ajminai
New Community Member

I'm sorry guys, but I can't change the nationality field on my paypal, and at the same time paypal insists that I provide proof-of-address & proof-of-identity. When submitting proof-of-identity, my passport is from my own country yet the nationality field is non-editable and only states the country I'm currently residing in as my nationality. Please tell me I'm misunderstanding something here or is Paypal actually THAT rigid that it doesn't make any allowance for expats to confirm their identity, who reside out of their countries anywhere in the world? *Super confused*

Thanks - Dr. A.J Minai

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ajminai 

Hi,

PayPal accounts are country specific. Its like closing out your local bank account and taking your money with you when you move to an entirely different country. Same idea with PayPal accounts. They are not as mobile as people like to think they are. Each country has it's own specific policies and regulations governing PayPal accounts and PayPal are obliged to follow them in order to do business in a certain country. Countries like to protect their currency, can't storm in and do whatever one likes.

That said, please visit this page and click on a country and open an account there. Then you may enter country specific account info. You will need to close your other account. Here is a close-account checklist:

1. Resolve any open disputes or account limitations.
  2. Zero out the balance.
  3. Cancel any active automatic payments.
  4. Remove financial info (bank accounts, cards).
  5. Go to Settings (cog icon).
  6. Click Close Account under Account Options section.
  7. Business accounts: Click Close Account across from Account Type.

Keep in mind also that certain features may not be available for all countries. Some countries do not allow receiving money or can't send or receive friends and family payments, or the received money has to be withdrawn monthly to a Visa credit card or US bank account and can't be spent from the PayPal account or where PayPal does not provide services to at all.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

fcanetta
Contributor
Contributor

The problem is that we can't resolve account limitation without confirm identity and we can't confirm identity without change nationality. In my case is setted on France but I live in Italy. Account limitation doesn't allow to zeroout the balance...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.