Smells like a scam

SAB456
Contributor
Contributor

Back in May I saw an ad on Facebook that looked too good to be true. A new Dell laptop computer that retails for around $1500 was offered for $91, implying that it was part of a load of surplus stock the manufacturer had to get rid off. Out of curiosity , I clicked the link, and the web page at https://www.gczbc.com/  says "This site cooperates with PayPal." Knowing that PayPal provides buyer protection, I placed an order on May 21, 2021 for the laptop computer. Five days later, I received an e-mail from PayPal informing me that the item was shipped from China, and it provided a tracking number from China Post. I followed that tracking to the point where the package supposedly arrived at a USPS regional sorting center in San Francisco on May 30. After that, there were no more tracking updates. In the weeks that followed, I e-mailed the seller a few times to inquire about the delivery, and was  assured that they would "look into it." To my third e-mail sent on 7/12/2021, I received no reply. Finally, on July 22, I submitted a failure to deliver claim to PayPal. The next day, PayPal sent me an email with a UPS tracking number which purports to show that the package was shipped to me from Texas on May 25 and was delivered to me on May 28. No such package arrived. UPS tracking states that the weight of the package is 53.8 pounds. For a laptop computer? Before I had time to reply, PayPal informed me in another email that my claim is denied and the case is closed. 

PayPal sees nothing wrong with two different tracking numbers for one package, and that the two tracking numbers provide conflicting information? According to the tracking number from China Post, the package arrived at a USPS regional sorting center in San Francisco on May 30, but according to the tracking number from UPS, the package was delivered to me in New Jersey on May 28. That is impossible. PayPal should see that and not be so quick to close the case. I suspect that UPS Tracking has been hacked, and I sent an inquiry to UPS about that. I also suspect that I am not the only person who ordered from that seller in China, paid via PayPal, and has not received the item that was ordered.    

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

SAB456
Contributor
Contributor

It definitely is a scam. I contacted UPS, and they informed me the shipper linked to that tracking number is Amazon. What a joke. I did not order the item from Amazon; I ordered it from this web site in China: https://www.gczbc.com. Buyer beware! The shipper has somehow hacked into UPS Tracking and is providing bogus tracking numbers to "prove" to PayPal that items they did not ship were delivered. Fortunately, PayPal did reverse their decision and issued me a refund.  

Login to Me Too

SAB456
Contributor
Contributor

More information. I learned from UPS that the tracking number is for a shipment from Amazon to an address in the town where I live, but to a different street address from my home address. PayPal needs to look more carefully at tracking numbers submitted by sellers as "proof" of shipment and delivery.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SAB456 

Paypal disputes for non receipt are mostly automated, they could not possibly personally check out every tracking number on every dispute in over 200 countries worldwide !!

So tracking provided = seller normally wins.

Then its your turn to do some work to enable paypal to assist you in getting a refund from your chosen scam seller.

APPEAL

To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper/courier (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment. Or one that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address. THEY DON'T HAVE TO SAY WHICH ADDRESS IT WAS SENT TO, JUST THAT IT WAS NOT DELIVERED TO YOUR ADDRESS.

Check tracking in below link to see where it went.
https://www.17track.net/en

When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click contact at the bottom of the page, or via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

You also have the option to contact your card issuer if you funded your paypal payment that way and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

SAB456
Contributor
Contributor

I guess you missed the part where I wrote that PayPal did reverse their denial and issued me a refund. However, your advice can be useful to others who have been scammed.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.