Shutdown after 20 years

dianegracely
Contributor
Contributor

I've been a Paypal business member for almost 20 years. In March they limited my account for violating their policies because I started

selling vape pens. I did not know selling vapes were against their policies. They refuse to give me another chance and allow me to keep

my PayPal account. They are also holding my balance for 6 months. This is insane. I am disabled and on social security disability. I had

to close my online business due to this, and I now have no other income. I have bills to pay just like everyone else.

I am in the process of starting another online business, I got another merchant account. BUT I want my money that's owed to me by

PayPal. There is NO reason they should hold our money hostage for 6 months.

I was and still am very upset that PayPal shut me down without warning and would not even give me a chance and allow me to keep

my account. I told them I was SORRY for violating their policies and that I would NOT sell vapes ever again. They will NOT even allow 

me to speak to someone in the department that handles this type of problem. I just can't believe, 20 years, and no second chance.

They just shut me down and now refuse to give me my balance for 6 months.

Login to Me Too
19 REPLIES 19

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dianegracely

Always best to check you are allowed to sell things before doing so.

You may not use the PayPal service for activities that:

1. violate any law, statute, ordinance or regulation.
  2. relate to transactions involving (a) narcotics, steroids, certain controlled substances or other products that present a risk to consumer safety, (b) drug paraphernalia, (c) cigarettes, (d) items that encourage, promote, facilitate or instruct others to engage in illegal activity, (e) stolen goods including digital and virtual goods, (f) the promotion of hate, violence, racial intolerance or the financial exploitation of a crime, (g) items that are considered obscene, (h) items that infringe or violate any copyright, trademark, right of publicity or privacy or any other proprietary right under the laws of any jurisdiction, (i) certain sexually oriented materials or services, (j) ammunition, firearms, or certain firearm parts or accessories, or (k) certain weapons or knives regulated under applicable law.

It doesn't really matter if you have had an account for 2 days or 20 years the same thing happens if you break their acceptable use policy. 

They hold your balance for 180 days as buyers have that amount of time to open disputes for non receipt of item OR item received but not as described. If they do then Paypal have the funds available in your balance to issue those refunds.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

dianegracely
Contributor
Contributor

It is still UNFAIR to hold my balance for 180 days. I have rarely EVER had returns or issues with customers not receiving

their order in the past which Paypal can SEE in my account. My customers of many years are NOT going to file a dispute

against me months later. If they have an issue they will do it right of way. You're just collecting INTEREST OFF of my money.

I should receive my balance PLUS the interest it received. I'm sorry BUT PayPal has gotten very strict with their policies

and this is WHY many people are leaving PAYPAL and I say KUDOS to them. Honestly it was a blessing that I finally HAD

to research and find another merchant account. IT SAVED me lots of money. 😉

JUST please give me my BALANCE as soon as possible. I was very LOYAL to Paypal for MANY YEARS.

And now I'm stabbed in the back adding to my disabilities. SHAME on YOU PAYPAL.

@kernowlass wrote:

@dianegracely

Always best to check you are allowed to sell things before doing so.

You may not use the PayPal service for activities that:

1. violate any law, statute, ordinance or regulation.
  2. relate to transactions involving (a) narcotics, steroids, certain controlled substances or other products that present a risk to consumer safety, (b) drug paraphernalia, (c) cigarettes, (d) items that encourage, promote, facilitate or instruct others to engage in illegal activity, (e) stolen goods including digital and virtual goods, (f) the promotion of hate, violence, racial intolerance or the financial exploitation of a crime, (g) items that are considered obscene, (h) items that infringe or violate any copyright, trademark, right of publicity or privacy or any other proprietary right under the laws of any jurisdiction, (i) certain sexually oriented materials or services, (j) ammunition, firearms, or certain firearm parts or accessories, or (k) certain weapons or knives regulated under applicable law.

It doesn't really matter if you have had an account for 2 days or 20 years the same thing happens if you break their acceptable use policy. 

They hold your balance for 180 days as buyers have that amount of time to open disputes for non receipt of item OR item received but not as described. If they do then Paypal have the funds available in your balance to issue those refunds.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dianegracely

It would be unfair for paypal to have to pay out money for any disputes filed against you whilst your account was limited, and buyers can file disputes for up to 180 days. So your funds are held that long. You think its unfair but you broke the rules and buyers are entitled to buyer protection.

Not a lot you can do about it.

And nice of you to say 'I' am getting interest off your money, thats amazing wonder how I managed that.   Smiley Wink

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

JenerSilva
Contributor
Contributor
@kernowlass You better shut the hell up. They will shut you down too, they dont give a rats. We know the 180 days is unreasonable. Why let someone withdraw funds for 20 years then bcuz of a single wrong transaction punish them for 100% of all their transactions? I'm talking about even family gifts. PayPal is illegally holding funds and getting interest. Thank goodness the PayPal monopoly is finally ending. I'm so sick of it.
Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

Thank You @JenerSilva it's a wrong business practice by paypal, I have all my tracking number as proof of item sent and delivered via signed delivery, buyers have 14 days to dispute the item received or ask for a full refund which I'll oblige. I wont put my paypal account in jeopardy over one buyer.

I also buy online using my paypal account and I appreciate their security measures as a buyer, but its a completely different set of rules for sellers. I am now unable to shop online safely nor pay my ebay monthly fees and I'll also lose my ebay account. Their monopoly is worrying. 

If I am unable to withdraw buyers money, then I should be allowed to make use of other payment function whilst they sort this out, such as pay my ebay fees. And it should not take 6 months.

paypal has no right to seize my funds for 1 month let alone 6 months.

It will take one person getting a good judgement at court against this 6 month seizure to make paypal stop this unfair business practice to other customers.

I asked to speak to a supervisor earlier, whom said paypal front line staff are unware of their basic TOS, which only means paypals workers are not trained well enough to work for a company held in such high esteem by the public.

I have done absolutely nothing wrong, I have manufacturers number, upc numbers, invoices etc. Why am I being made to feel like a criminal when its paypal's fault.

I actually did rang in to paypal, to ask a front line staff if it is safe to proceed with this same transaction they permanently limited my account over. I was given the all clear to proceed. Then someone else from paypal emailed me the next day to say my account has been permanently limited.

There has been a complete break down of communication at paypal, leading to my account being limited, why am I being punished for paypal's mistake?

I'll like to see how pleased a third party, such as the claims court judge would react to such an admission from paypal that their staffs are untrained to deal with basic customers enquiry.

its absurd!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JenerSilva

As a buyer i would want a refund from any seller that had had his account limited, ta muchly.

If that means holding that sellers funds for 180 days then so be it.

And being rude and saying to shut up because someone disagrees with you is very childish, but guess that explains a lot Smiley Wink

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

JenerSilva
Contributor
Contributor
@kernowlass That's completely idiotic, no offense. So if you bought an IPhone and had it for months but the seller was limited by a reason you have no knowledge of you'd want your money back? That's an absurd proposition. Businesses close all the time for God only knows what reason, doesn't mean they're all at fault or doing shady business. PayPal makes mistakes too. You're too liberal and probably think PayPal can do no wrong. I never had a single chargeback that was out of my control reliant on PayPal funds. Always kept my buyers in check.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JenerSilva

No of course not, you misunderstood my post. I'm not a scam buyer Smiley Wink

I meant if I had filed a dispute and wanted a refund for non receipt or not as described from a 'limited seller' then I would want a refund from them.

If they had not had their funds 'frozen' then I may not have got one.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

dianegracely
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass who gave you the right to talk to us business owners like we are dog meat being gobbled up by a starving dog?

Of course my statement of saying "you're collecting interest off of our money was NOT directed at you, it was directed at PAYPAL."

There is so much PayPal Fraud going on, I now after 20 years of having a PayPal business account am disappointed I stayed with PayPal

and stayed LOYAL to them for 20 years. As a business owner for 20 years, I receive phone calls from other merchant account companies all of the time.

I tell them "I'm NOT interested and don't call me again. I have had a PayPal merchant account for 20 years and I'm happy with them."

NOW I regret saying that for so many years. I should have went with another merchant account company a long time ago.

BUT no, I didn't I stayed LOYAL to PayPal, even with all of the nasty stuff I've READ about how they have treated other business account holders.

And it's actually kinda funny, in 2017 I had my best year ever. I had over $30,000 in sales through PayPal. I have to pay taxes on my money too.

I am a GOOD business owner, and I was so happy to have finally had my best year ever and now I'm SAD that I let PaypaL make money off of me for 20 years and now they STAB me in the back. SHAME on PayPal.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.