Shipping refund/seller dispute.

Random2
Contributor
Contributor
I received an item that turned out to be fake. I launched a claim and won. I am returning the item but at my own expense which I think is unfair. Can I claim a refund on the shipping from the seller? I'm also curious as to how I'm having to pay shipping anyway when the seller should be responsible! I'm based in the UK.
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Random2

Your best bet is to read up on paypal buyer protection before you start buying so you know what is and what is not offered.
In the event of a dispute you nearly always have to return the item back to the seller so you bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country.

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction .....
https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

If you buy from a business in the UK then you can normally recover those return costs via the small claims court although most UK businesses would reimburse you anyway. (BUT if you choose to buy from a private or international seller you may not have that option).
You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Finally if you had provided written proof on company headed paper from a shop / company that sold / made that item OR trading standards and stated you had that proof when you opened the dispute then you would not have had to return the item. As its against the law to sell fakes Paypal don't expect you to return fake goods BUT the onus is on your to prove its fake first. (Otherwise every buyer would claim something was fake to save having to return it).

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Random2

Your best bet is to read up on paypal buyer protection before you start buying so you know what is and what is not offered.
In the event of a dispute you nearly always have to return the item back to the seller so you bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country.

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction .....
https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

If you buy from a business in the UK then you can normally recover those return costs via the small claims court although most UK businesses would reimburse you anyway. (BUT if you choose to buy from a private or international seller you may not have that option).
You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Finally if you had provided written proof on company headed paper from a shop / company that sold / made that item OR trading standards and stated you had that proof when you opened the dispute then you would not have had to return the item. As its against the law to sell fakes Paypal don't expect you to return fake goods BUT the onus is on your to prove its fake first. (Otherwise every buyer would claim something was fake to save having to return it).

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Random2
Contributor
Contributor
Ah. I see. Thank you for your reply. This has been the worst eBay seller that I've ever had. I assumed that the seller would have to pay shipping. I guess they will put it back on eBay when they receive it and rip someone else off 😞
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Random2

They should pay shipping if you opened an EBAY dispute and Ebay found in your favour.

But as you are posting on here I presumed you had opened a Paypal dispute??

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Random2
Contributor
Contributor
Yes, I opened the dispute in PayPal. I have requested shipping to be paid by seller. I think it's being reviewed now.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.