Shipping Incorrect Items Back To China

Jupitersgirl
Contributor
Contributor

I recently made a purchase for items from a Chinese seller. They sent me the incorrect product. There is a notice on the company's website that actually makes the legitimate product I ordered saying that they are having issues with Chinese internet sellers scamming people and pulling a bait and switch. Unfortunately I found this out AFTER I got the products I didn't order in the mail. Paypal initially offered me half the refund which I politely declined afterall, the seller sent me incorrect product. If you purchase from a store you don't get half a refund so why should I expect anything less from an online retailer? They agreed to refund me the full amount on the condition I send the items back to China with tracking. I don't have an issue sending the items back. The seller can have them since they sent the wrong product anyway. The issue I am having is Paypal expects me,and it seems other buyers, to pay for this shipping (with tracking) out of our pocket. I don't know about any one else's experience, but shipping with tracking is expensive. It's going to cost me $132 to ship it back to China from Canada with a tracking number.  According to the post office ,China is one of the most expensive countries to send stuff to from Canada but it apparently costs them peanuts to send to us. That shipping cost is basically going to wipe out my refund. Paypal is unwilling to budge except to offer $30 to help out with shipping costs. So yea, Paypal will give me a refund but I'm going to half to cough up $132 for shipping which wipes out my refund and that's if I get the refund. If I purchase off of any online retailer and they ship me the incorrect item (Amazon, Ebay etc) I've never had to pay the cost to send it back. It's the seller's error and the onus should be on them for selling us crappy product or the incorrect product. It's bad business practice and Paypal is setting a dangerous precedent here. This action only further fuels the Chinese sellers market to continue to rip off the customers. They know it's going to cost 2x the amount of the purchase to send it back and Paypal is allowing them to do this. At this stage I am awaiting to hear if the seller is going to send a return label. I'm not holding my breath but we shall see what happens. I expected better from Paypal and you may be losing a longtime customer. 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jupitersgirl 

This isn't Amazon, eBay, etc. Everyone has different ways of dealing this disputes. According to PayPal buyer protection terms, you're not entitled to return costs in the dispute. PayPal can't force seller to pay return shipping or refund more than what you paid. This how PayPal resolves SNAD claims when escalated to them.

PayPal does have return shipping refund program for future purchases if this return is not eligible:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

Do research on merchant/site/products before buying. Should have accepted half the refund if you look at the big picture. 

This is how chinese sites be doing to customers so beware of them.

Or you can forfeit the PayPal dispute altogether and see how you do with a credit card chargeback instead.

And you really shouldn't expect on a chinese seller who scammed you to begin with to send you an authentic shipping label. They can put some fake address on it.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
19 REPLIES 19
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jupitersgirl 

This isn't Amazon, eBay, etc. Everyone has different ways of dealing this disputes. According to PayPal buyer protection terms, you're not entitled to return costs in the dispute. PayPal can't force seller to pay return shipping or refund more than what you paid. This how PayPal resolves SNAD claims when escalated to them.

PayPal does have return shipping refund program for future purchases if this return is not eligible:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

Do research on merchant/site/products before buying. Should have accepted half the refund if you look at the big picture. 

This is how chinese sites be doing to customers so beware of them.

Or you can forfeit the PayPal dispute altogether and see how you do with a credit card chargeback instead.

And you really shouldn't expect on a chinese seller who scammed you to begin with to send you an authentic shipping label. They can put some fake address on it.

Login to Me Too

Jupitersgirl
Contributor
Contributor
I truthfully don't expect the seller to give the correct address or supply a return label. I even noticed the address given to PayPal is different than what's on the package. At this point I may just cut my losses. The thing that bothers me though is the fact that PayPal even asks for return shipping when clearly the onus should be on the seller who provided the wrong product to begin with.
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jupitersgirl 

That's where the PayPal return shipping program comes in. You get reimbursed, because it easier to get buyers to pay to return it since they don't want the item, than getting the seller to do it. Especially intl sellers. PayPal just can't refund you and not have the item be returned. You can't have both money and the item.

If you do a credit card chargeback, they may have broader terms than PayPal does and may not even require you to return item either in some cases.

Login to Me Too

ashiem1
Contributor
Contributor

Nothing but a loophole that international sellers are exploiting and leaving buyers as victims. PayPal this stinks and action should be taken to rectify this!

Login to Me Too

Archie3rd
Contributor
Contributor

I made the mistake as well as everybody else who has ordered from China thinking that by paying with Pay Pal

I would be protected...NOT!!!  

The solution is to never order another thing from China.  90% seem to be crooks especially when it comes to

shipping errors.  My feeling is they do this on purpose knowing that most people will eat the total loss as

opposed to paying for return postage that eats up your refund anyway.  

The world is full of lessons to learn.  Count dealing with China as a lesson to never deal with them again.

Can you imagine how much cheating goes on with their dealings with the US at the Gov't level?

PayPal protection with China is near worthless due to the Return Shipping expense not being covered.

If PayPal were worth their salt, they would NOT ALLOW their users to ever order from China.  At the very

least they should send you a BIG POPUP telling you that you will more than likely loss money buying from

China.

Login to Me Too

Cspots
Contributor
Contributor
Same thing happened to me this week. I am going to chalk it up to a lesson learned and not buy from China.
Login to Me Too

Archie3rd
Contributor
Contributor
PayPal protection with purchases from China is worthless. China knows it so as long as PayPal allows you to buy from China, you are going to lose $$. Since PayPal isn't going to be any protection, you best never buy anything from China period. It isn't "Buyer beware". It is "Buyer be **bleep**".
Login to Me Too

DcPhab69
Contributor
Contributor
Well I have only just noticed this line of post and long story short the same applies to me. However in addition, another grievance i got money returned from an Amazon seller and due to a failure of PayPal's system the seller refunded me twice. PayPal then limited my account and asked me for proof of address as I had recently moved house. I sent this FOUR TIMES only to receive a template message each time that the proof needed to have THE HOUSE NAME as when I changed my address and put the postcode in, it brought up the house name, not the house number!! It took nearly 3 months of stalemate before I had a brainwave. I went onto the Post office's website and sent a screenshot of their postcode lookup before they took the limitation away. Oh and they changed me for the refund even though the error was down to their own system. Ive requested a refund of the charges I unfairly incurred several times but have been repeatedly ignored!! It's a disgrace!!!!
Login to Me Too

wally_k
Contributor
Contributor

Mine was defective. It cost CDN $45mnand would have cost me CDN$ 67 to return with tracking. Never again Paypal. Never had a problem with Amazon and quicker delivery also.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.