Shaw Academy Scam

Bananaface
Contributor
Contributor
I signed up for a free 4 week trial and had to enter my PayPal details to do so. Enrolled on 3 courses but when clicking for information on the course resources my PayPal account had been charged £49.99 three times. I immediately contacted the company and cancelled my account. So they can see I didnt actually access any courses or materials. They replied saying they can't refund as its a 2 step process to purchase these toolkits. Which is a lie. I also never received any confirmation of purchase. They offered me lifelong membership which I declined and now won't respond to me. I started a dispute through PayPal as my account has now been blocked until I put £149.97 in to cover the payments to Shaw Academy. Has anyone been in a similar position and can offer any further help or support? Thank you in advance.
Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bananaface 

I have seen a few cases here similar with them immediately charging that caught people off guard:

https://help.shawacademy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010063738-Which-membership-types-are-available-

It says:

"Standard 28 days / free trial subscription is 49.98€ per month. (Renews every 28 days)"

I wonder if they charge and just before the 4 weeks trial period are over you cancel it and then you'll be refunded.

Or like it says here, you have the option not to enter payment details:

https://help.shawacademy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000612557-Where-do-I-cancel-my-trial-or-subscripti...

I hope you didn't open an Unauthorized dispute. PayPal will deny it as no one broke into your account to make these transactions. You entered your payment details and enrolled in 3 classes by yourself.

You have the option to file as Item not received or Significantly not as described.

Reach out to customer service to explain the situation by clicking "Help" at the top menu and clicking "Message Center" to write to PayPal.

Personally, I'd be wary of providing payment details on free trials unless I am aware after thoroughly researching t&c that I will be charged and then refunded later when I cancel within the trial period.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Reaperspit
Contributor
Contributor

I'm in a similar situation. I signed up for the 12 month subscription and they've been messing me around. It included course material and a hard copy of the diploma plus being able to add friends and family. I can't add friends or family because they just get charged. My course material keeps being taken off and then added back. I opened up a PayPal dispute but PayPal closed it and sided with Shaw Academy. I'm now trying to go through my bank.

Login to Me Too

Atinus16
Exactly the same to me. I had a pop up banner that said get course materials now then it refreshed and I saw cost so i went out but somehow it says i clicked twice when i only saw one screen refresh. Then as i was cancelling subscription i saw i was billed for course materials but no email of confirmation or check out page or anything. I still receive emails to tell me to purchase and appears I haven't. They won't refund because they say i used their two step confirmation scam. Has anyone been able to get money back?
Login to Me Too

Poro123
Contributor
Contributor

Shaw Academy is a scam from the beginning to the end, whose management should be in jail. It is a disgrace PayPal let's them to charge people. <removed> <removed>

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.