Shaw Academy Scam-Unauthorized Charges!!

jabelus25
Contributor
Contributor

I have been charged twice by Shaw Academy!! I signed up for a free trial back in April 2020. I called and cancelled. In July, the "Refunded" my .50 cents, when I called to confirm I was cancelled, they told me I was cancelled, and that the refund was simply from the initial transaction I signed up with. I went into my account, and it said inactive. I tried to delete my information, but it wouldn't let me. I called again, I was told it was cancelled, I would not be billed, however I would still have access to the classes for the remainder of my FREE trial. August 2020, I receive a charge of $69.99. I called them LIVID as to why and how would they charge me this $69.99. They told me that I had resigned up for another 4 week free subscription and that is why I was charged (which is a lie, my paypal account email address is different from the email address I used for the actual account I signed up with them. They used my other email to "Sign up" for another free trial. I was beyond words upset. The gentleman assured me, that I would receive a refund, noting that I was charged prior to the "free trial" ending. Keep in mind I signed up originally in April. I cancelled in May, they charge me in August, saying I signed up for a new trial in July (the same time they issued me a "refund". The gentleman asked for me to log into my account to confirm my payment information so my refund can be sent asap. I did just that (which in hindsight, I should have just request they return it to the same place they took). October 2020, another amount of $69.99 was pulled. I called, and asked why were they continuously charging my account with fraudulent charges, well "Grace" was very upset, she began berating me, telling me that I would NOT be receiving a refund because I gave them my information and they I might as well continue with the program I paid for and that it is not fraud because they have great reviews. She then hung up the phone. This company has all the bells and whistles of a SCAM. No central location. No main customer service line. All issues are dealt with only via email. You literally get someone from a different part of the world each time. Once it was someone from New Hampshire, USA next it was someone from India, then it's someone from the UK, you NEVER can call them back at ANY of the numbers they call you. I am hoping that Paypal sees all of these complaints and actually side on our side and block this Scam Academy from ripping people off!! I have called me bank already and they've been on point, but Paypal has already paid them directly, despite my account not having any money in it. Now I'm in the negative of $69.99, DESPITE me filing a complaint and turning Shaw Academy to inactive.  

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

cyndbird
Contributor
Contributor

File a claim with the Better Business Bureau - that's the only way I got my money back. It did take a few back & forth replies as they will post something like "our service department is looking into this matter" and you just need to keep replying that you're not satisfied with the result until they finally refund you. They still **bleep** me off with how sneaky and unethical they're practices are with all the fraudulent charges!! They did finally refund me, but I still don't think they've truly cancelled my "free trial" so I'm going to respond to the BBB claim that this part still needs to happen. Hopefully they will finally confirm that as well if I keep the case open. Good luck!!

On a side note, Paypal really disappointed me with how they handled this because they should have refunded the fraudulent charges in the first place. None of us "agreed" to the membership or the purchase as we are all having similar issues, it's all over the internet that others are being scammed by this company, there are over 3000 active cases filed against them at the BBB, so you would think Paypal would be aware of this and actually side with their customers rather than this super dishonest company! Because of that, I've paid off my Paypal credit balance and will NEVER use my Paypal account again for anything like this. They've proven that we really don't have any buyer protection, in my opinion.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

mylifeaslinda_1
Contributor
Contributor

I literally am experiencing the same. I had this free month last year, somewhere around october/november. I cancelled my subscription before the end of this free month and never heard from them again. This morning I got an email stating that paypal would be taking €20 from my account for my shaw academy subscription. I emailed them, stating that I would not be paying and I reported the planned transaction in my paypal account right away. I just now got.a reply to this email I sent this morning, saying that I cancelled my subscription after the free month ended. I just replied, LIVID, saying that they were lying and that I am not going to pay. 

Login to Me Too

cyndbird
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same thing happen only  I was just looking into the free trial, advertised on FB. When I tried to just close the windows asking for $$ to buy the modules & the tool kits, not even hitting the "purchase" buttons, they somehow charged me for something!! I decided this program was not for me so I cancelled, but then they take you through like 10 different "are you sure" windows and finally to a stupid 800 number to call! After that, I realized they charged me even when I never agreed to purchase anything!  What's worse, is that Paypal wouldn't refund me as they are saying I signed up per the vendor agreement, yet I NEVER did!! seriously, I thought Paypal was supposed to protect us from these types of fraudulent charges if I never agreed to anything!! All I did was to close the windows that popped up. WTF?

Login to Me Too

Rosenblau

I had a similar experience. On January 29, 2021 I signed up for "free" trial of 28 days. In order to make an account, I was forced to fill in either my bank account or PayPal. I chose the second option. That same day I was charged $69,99 without giving any authorization! I don't even know what I'm charged for. I contacted  Shaw Academy, asking for a refund and they are supposed to reply within 48 hours. But when I read all the reviews and other people, it doesn't really give me much hope. I tried to explain and report this issue to PayPal, but apparently they checked and they say that the payment is authorized, which is not true. I feel very helpless, because I thought they would be able to help.

In order to prevent this from happening again, I have canceled the subscription on <removed>. They immediately started bombarding me with e-mails and messages on my phone to resubscribe, promising me a free 28 days and giving me $40. Even saying that offer will expire within a minute, but when the timer reaches 00:00  it starts over again, which is obviously a scam. I hope I really unsubscribed.

Just to be sure I also disabled any further payments for them on my PayPal and also unlinked my bank account from my PayPal account so that they cannot take more money from it in the future. But I don't know what to do about that money that's already taken from my account.

How can they get away with this? So many people have fallen victim to this scam...

Login to Me Too
Solved

cyndbird
Contributor
Contributor

File a claim with the Better Business Bureau - that's the only way I got my money back. It did take a few back & forth replies as they will post something like "our service department is looking into this matter" and you just need to keep replying that you're not satisfied with the result until they finally refund you. They still **bleep** me off with how sneaky and unethical they're practices are with all the fraudulent charges!! They did finally refund me, but I still don't think they've truly cancelled my "free trial" so I'm going to respond to the BBB claim that this part still needs to happen. Hopefully they will finally confirm that as well if I keep the case open. Good luck!!

On a side note, Paypal really disappointed me with how they handled this because they should have refunded the fraudulent charges in the first place. None of us "agreed" to the membership or the purchase as we are all having similar issues, it's all over the internet that others are being scammed by this company, there are over 3000 active cases filed against them at the BBB, so you would think Paypal would be aware of this and actually side with their customers rather than this super dishonest company! Because of that, I've paid off my Paypal credit balance and will NEVER use my Paypal account again for anything like this. They've proven that we really don't have any buyer protection, in my opinion.

Login to Me Too

jabelus25
Contributor
Contributor

I am so happy to hear you've gotten your money back!! I'm going to try the BBB route. You are absolutely right about PayPal, they should have been on our side from jump!! There were too many red flags and complaints. Even hundreds of YouTube videos of people talking about their experience with "Scam" Academy. I really hope they see this, and correct it on their end versus having people jump through hoops. 

Login to Me Too

Carole081
I’ve just had the same experience. 8 months after I cancelled my subscription they used PayPal to take £25 out of my account. They’re refusing to refund.
Login to Me Too

jabelus25
Contributor
Contributor

Check out the post below. One person was able to get their money back going through the Better Business Bureau. I will be trying the same. Good luck!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Rosenblau 

@cyndbird 

@jabelus25 

If you didn't cancel the subscription on paypal then of course paypal will pay the vendor as you have asked them to do so.

Check if you had a subscription set up...
Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > "manage pre-approved payments''.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

jabelus25
Contributor
Contributor

Your solution doesn't apply here. Thanks for trying. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.