Seller's echeck refund declined by their bank, now shows Canceled in my account. Case denied?

genesis1
Contributor
Contributor

So I don't know what to do at this point and I feel extremely wronged with what has happened to me. On January 5th I bought an item on eBay for $27.75. On January 9th I receive an email from PayPal saying I have a refund from the seller and that it would be made available on or around January 14, 2019. I check my purchase history in eBay to see that my order had been canceled by the seller. I figured maybe the item was out of stock so I didn't think anything of it since they issued a refund right after canceling the order. On January 11th I receive another email from PayPal telling me there is a delay in the echeck payment because it was declined by the seller's bank. The email also said they would automatically try to process the payment again in 3 business days and that it would take 3-5 days for the money to be deposited into my account. The refund showed as pending during all of this. I waited the 3 business days and a few more days after to see if the refund would go through this time and now the payment in my account summary shows as "Canceled - Refund" with a green line going through the $27.75 amount. After that I decided to open a case today to have PayPal resolve the issue. I wasn't able to open a case from the "Canceled - Refund" post on my account summary because it gave me this message: "We're unable to file a case on this transaction. Since this is money you’ve received, you'll need to contact the sender directly to resolve your issue." So instead I opened a case from -$27.75 payment I made to the seller on January 5th and I explained the entire situation in the case. A few minutes later I get an email from PayPal telling me my case has been denied because: "This decision was made because a credit for this transaction has already posted to your account." Did they not see where the refund shows as "Canceled - Refund" on my account now? Yea the seller issued a refund, but it was DECLINED by their bank and the second go around it now shows as "Canceled - Refund." I am very upset over this and I don't know what to do. The seller has not contacted me at all. I tried contacting them on eBay 6 days ago also and they have not contacted me back. What do I do? How do I get my refund?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@genesis1

Call customer service first to see if you can resolve it, otherwise, If you paid with card, file a chargeback with the card issuer

It appears the seller probably knew they wouldn't have funds in their bank account or they cleared the bank account out so you technically don't receive a refund. And their PayPal account is probably now in the negative. PayPal can't recover funds from trying to get the funds from the seller bank account but they haven't refunded you either.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@genesis1

Call customer service first to see if you can resolve it, otherwise, If you paid with card, file a chargeback with the card issuer

It appears the seller probably knew they wouldn't have funds in their bank account or they cleared the bank account out so you technically don't receive a refund. And their PayPal account is probably now in the negative. PayPal can't recover funds from trying to get the funds from the seller bank account but they haven't refunded you either.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

genesis1
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker wrote:

@genesis1

Thank you for the reply. $26.74 came from my PayPal balance and $1.01 came from my bank I have linked to my PayPal account. Gosh I really was hoping I wouldn't have to call PayPal over this. Its not a lot of money but its still a loss on my end. I am curious though as to why my case was denied. I told them everything in the case. It was denied fast also. I received 2 emails before that from Paypal saying they are contacting the seller to get more information, then a couple minutes later I get the "case denied" email. So that is confusing to me also.

Login to Me Too

genesis1
Contributor
Contributor

Well I e-mailed PayPal and explained the situation and included the transaction IDs to both my payment to the seller and the canceled refund. I hope they will see that even though the seller sent a refund, it did not clear and I never got my money back.

Login to Me Too

genesis1
Contributor
Contributor

Why would PayPal deny my case when the refund is showing as "Canceled-Refund" in my account? The reason stated was because "a credit for this transaction has already posted to your account" but the credit was denied by the seller's bank and is now showing as canceled. I emailed PayPal about this yesterday but its the weekend now. Do they reply to emails on the weekend or do I have to wait until Monday?

Login to Me Too

genesis1
Contributor
Contributor

So PayPal responded to my message I sent them through their messaging system here. After I explained the entire situation to them including the fact that the seller has not responded to ANY of my attempts to contact them, they told me to try to contact the seller and request a refund. Seriously? After all I have went through with this and after explaining the entire situation to them that is what I am told to do? I have already done this more than once on both eBay and PayPal trying to contact the seller and NOTHING! This is ridiculous. I replied back saying my issue is not resolved and reposted the entire situation of what happened to them again.

Is there anyone over at PayPal that is reading this and can help resolve my issue? I feel like I have been scammed by an eBay seller and should not have to waste days of my time trying to get a $27.75 refund.

Login to Me Too

jude81790
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem as you, was it solved? I spent 500+$ seller refunded but the refund was cancelled, can't file a dispute.

Login to Me Too

genesis1
Contributor
Contributor

Yes it was finally resolved but I had to call PayPal to get it resolved.

Login to Me Too

Hippy818
Contributor
Contributor
How did you manage to solve? What did paypal do? I have the same problem 1000+ euro...
Login to Me Too

Charlesdbp
Contributor
Contributor

i have the same problem, paypal has cancelled my claim as they said the monies has already been returned to me however the refund has not been completed hence i didnt get my money back, what else can i do in this situation pls? thank you

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.