Seller promoted an expensive telescope (at a cheap price) then sent a piece of junk instead.

Robot_Lord
Contributor
Contributor

About 3 weeks ago I saw a Facebook ad for a really nice entry-level telescope:

https://www.squarecube.shop/collections/hot-sale/products/2018-upgraded-600x90mm-az-astronomical-ref...

I bought it then immediately began to fear that it was a scam.

The item arrived and here is a comparison between what I bought and what I received:

t1.pngIMG_20180703_155913.jpg

Unfortunately, PayPal is siding with the seller and saying that I have to return the item before I can get refunded. I've tried to upload supporting information, but PayPal seems to have hopeless mechanisms for sending anything to them. (The don't accept attachments and all the instructions they give do not actually work).

Now the cost to return will exceed the cost I will be refunded (although it seems PayPal will cover some of the return cost).

I'm also fearful that if a company will blatantly commit a fraud like this, then what's the likelihood that they will even refund?

Now I don't really know what I should do?

Has anyone else been in this situation?

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

Robot_Lord
Contributor
Contributor

An update:

After trying to send all the supporting documentation to Paypal, and repeatedly having emails returned saying they couldn't accept attachments". I "Had to send information through the disputes party of the webpage" (but there is no mechanism to send anything to PayPal through the disputes section.

Also, they sent emails to me saying how to send data, but the instructions were wrong and there is no way to send supporting info to PayPal. I uploaded all the pictures to Dropbox and then emailed PayPal through the internal email, pitting the links to the dropbox documents in the email.

PayPal just said over and over again that my case had been upheld and I would be refunded when I sent back the item (which I refused to do).

Then they sent me this:  

"Our records indicate that you never responded to requests for additional
information about this claim. This claim has been cancelled, we hope that
you have worked out this situation amicably with your seller.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Sincerely, 

Protection Services Department

PayPal does not tolerate fraud or illegal activities. Your complaint has
been noted in the record of the PayPal user you reported. If we find this
user has violated our policies, we will investigate and take appropriate
action. If this occurs, you may be contacted in the future about the status
of this complaint.

To make sure future transactions proceed smoothly, we suggest you visit the
PayPal site and click the Security Center link located at the top of any
page. There you will find tips on how to avoid fraudulent sellers in the
"Fraud Prevention Tips for Buyers" section.

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you
will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account
and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page."

I sent them an email and tore then another one, but got a reply saying I needed to go through the resolution center, duh.

Then I got this:

"

We were recently notified that you initiated a chargeback with your credit card issuer because The chargeback was initiated because the merchandise you received has one of the following problems:

• It was damaged or defective
  • It was not as described
  • Services were not rendered 

Here are the details of this case:

• Seller's name: LIN <removed>
  • Seller's email: <removed>
  • Seller's transaction ID: 72J2105416383252J
  • Your transaction ID: 0BY22184R7061425C
  • Transaction date: 15 June 2018
  • Transaction amount: -$59.99 USD
  • Disputed amount: $89.80 NZD

We are working with your card issuer to resolve this chargeback. If this issue is now resolved, please let your card issuer know, and cancel the chargeback in your Resolution Center. 

To learn more about PayPal and paying securely, click Security near the bottom of any PayPal page. 

Sincerely,

PayPal"

So there it is, I guess they are giving the crooked the seller the benefit of the doubt once again, I wonder what BS the seller is going to come up with this time.

I better get my refund or honestly, I will be closing my PayPal account and never coming back, which is a real inconvenience because I use it a couple of time a week to buy and sell.

Login to Me Too

agr_mk
Contributor
Contributor

I also too the bait. Saw the advertisement on facebook and ordered the product, all because paypal was involved. After about 1.5 month I got the toy telescope(around early Aug) and since then I am struggling to get my money back(Case ID: PP-007-154-082-574). Now paypay is asking me to return the product at my cost, which is almost 35$(2500 INR). The seller has shut the website now but paypal is adamant on transferring the money to them on 23rd Aug. I am clueless on what to do now.

Case ID: PP-007-154-082-574

Login to Me Too

catalincc
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I'm a lucky one who succeeded to have a favourable solution from PayPal, but only after discussing by phone with their Customer Service.

And I did this because each time I received, as most of you, only automatic/standard replies from the Resolution Center, but not a real solution.

I did that for about 5 instances, and each time discussing with a different person who was not informed at all about the history of the case, even if I communicated through the Message Center all the time.

And each time I insisted the the Customer Service person that Lin Jinrong is a proven cheater (which is a fact). Also I provided them (in writing) evidences from various anti-spammer websites about him/her.

So, I advice you to call the Customer Center and to persuade them.

Good luck and don't give up !

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.