Seller help with a dispute

Kat18
Contributor
Contributor
I sold two collectible dolls on eBay, brand new and in box etc Buyer opened a dispute saying not as described as not new, then attached photos with one of the dolls heads broken off and the plastic casing broken. The very hard casing box was totally undamaged yet it was broken on the inside? I know that the dolls were well and truly wedged in to the casing and guess she broke it and the dolls bead when trying to get it out. I opened a dispute in here and PayPal viewed it and went with buyer asking them to send it back so hat I can refund. I can kind of get that, but at the same time - I’m really upset! Even the buyer agreed that I packaged it well enough? So I can’t claim off of Royal Mail? It now means my brand new rare dolls will come back to me broken and now worthless. How is that fair? Is there anything at all that I can do please? This has put me off selling now
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Kat18 

Not really much you can do but accept the decision and refund the customer IF they return it. If buyer missed the deadline for getting the package in to the mail stream or do not have proof of delivery, PayPal can overturn the case to your favor.

These are the dirty-little secrets or the dark side to selling online. There will be the occasional transaction that won't be successful and all one can do is focus on the next sale, take a percentage of each sale to save as self-insurance on disputes in exchange for access to millions of PayPal users.

With eBay sales, the customer has 3 tries at recovering their money: eBay's money back guarantee program, PayPal buyer/purchase protection program and the ultimate, credit card chargeback/bank reversal (which incurs a handing fee by PayPal if payment is processed by PayPal so you can stand to lose more.) If you're going to lose, try to lose the least. eBay requires you to pay for return shipping but with PayPal, at least the buyer pays for the return shipping and with chargebacks and reversals, you may not even get the item back. Its a 'pick your poison' sort of thing.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Kat18
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks for your response.

She's messaged me via eBay since I posted this, saying that she's been told to return it for a refund but that she's not happy to do so. She's said she's not happy as I accused her of breaking it at the start (I didn't quite say it like that at all!!! I asked if it could have been damaged when being removed as I was so shocked that it was broken, I never accused her in that way - I was just trying to work out how it happened when she and me both know it was well packaged and the outside was undamaged etc).

She's said she's not happy to pay to send it back, and that I may not refund her (I would, I'm a good seller - I would never not refund!!), and that instead she'd keep it, leave the dispute on here open and leave me negative feedback. I politely replied and said it was standard policy for the seller to issue a refund when the item was returned and I wasn't sure what else she wanted me to do to rectify it? She never responded but instead I had an email from PayPal saying she'd logged a tracking number and that I was to wait for it to return. She then left negative feedback on eBay.

I'm not sure if she's sending back, who knows? But I have to say, it's all seemed not right from the start. She said she was really upset as she bought it for a present for someone, but I can see she sells a lot of collectable items on eBay......I just have this horrible feeling that she already had the same doll and was trying to pass her broken one off as mine. Then when she thought she'd have to send it back, panicked - as I may have figured it out when she returned it.....

Anyways, what a truly unpleasant experience. I was going to refund so negative feedback is really harsh as I had 100% positive and well over 1000 too 😞 Ebay cannot remove it either - oh well, you live and learn eh!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.