Seller fraud scams

emilykathlene
Contributor
Contributor
I purchased the ring which was advertised as over 6 grams of solid 14 karat gold, a natural sapphire stone, and free shipping. The seller then charged me $9.99 for shipping insurance. PayPal has sound on my side in this issue before so I'm not really worried about that particular problem though it is fraud on the part of the seller. when I received the ring, it was not 14 karat gold because it was magnetic. I have a presidium gem tester and the gem registers as glass. He total I paid with $65. When I got a hold of the seller asking for a refund, the seller said I have to send the ring back 2 Japan which means all kinds of international shipping cost to me an addition just to get that refund. I don't think this is what eBay or PayPal had in mind when it set a policy where the buyer has to paythe cost of returning items for a refund. There has to be something where a seller can't just fraudulently sell an item a buyer is never going to get. And if it cost extra money just to get your original refund, what's this eBay 100% protection guarantee thing? That's not a hundred percent if you have to pay in order to get the original money back. Please help if anyone knows the answer to this. Thank you
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Azure855
Contributor
Contributor
Hello emily kathleen, I recently had a similar issue with one of my purchases, and was kindly provided a solution by Jon K, one of the mods on here. To give original credit where it's due, I've copied in that entire reply. Hope it helps you as much as it did me.  PayPal_JonK Moderator ‎Aug-12-2019 08:52 PM   Re: Why is the resolution team biased against the buyer? Hello @Azure855,   Thank you for reaching out, I'm sorry to hear you're running into issues with our dispute process. To receive a refund, the item must be returned to the seller like any other marketplace. While we will mitigate that process, we do not require the seller to provide a return shipping label.    However, we do offer PayPal Refunded Return service. PayPal Refunded Returns is offered at no cost (free) only to consumers who have activated the service via their PayPal account. PayPal account must be in good standing. You can find more information about it here: https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/returns .    I hope that helps! Best of luck with your refund & return.     - Jon K If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. 1 person found this solution to be helpful.  Me too
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Azure855 

Paypal buyer protection can never be a 100% coverall, so in the event of a dispute you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country.

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction .....
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/what-is-return-shipping-on-us-and-how-do-i-activate-it-fa...

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

HOWEVER IF IT WAS AN EBAY SALE AND YOU ARE WITHIN THE 30 DAYS THEN FILE AN EBAY DISPUTE AS THERE SYSTEM IS DIFFERENT AND THE SELLER (IF IN THE WRONG) HAS TO PROVIDE A PREPAID LABEL FOR YOU TO SEND ANY ITEMS BACK AGAIN.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

emilykathlene
Contributor
Contributor
thank you for your help! I funded my PayPal account with my card I thought. But now I go and see that it's my bank account that's listed as the first payment source. Though I'm sure in the past I've used my card as a primary. I just noticed that a $50 item I bought that was a scam cost me $64.99 just to get it here and now it could cost me to send it back. Ridiculous! Especially when they were scamming me. but you're not scamming me so thank you! LOL
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.