Seller did not send item and Paypal closed the case without providing refund

AdanPhu
Contributor
Contributor

Seller was a fraudulent seller on Etsy.

I bought a product on Etsy and paid through Paypal.

The seller closed their Etsy account.

I filed the dispute on Paypal and Paypal responded by closing the case and not providing the refund.

I actually looked up in the help section on Paypal and they advised to report to file the activity as unauthorized activity about fraudulent seller.

Now Paypal closed my case saying they cannot provide refund when they seller sent nothing.

I thought Paypal was the secure way to go?

If buyer are not even protected against fraudulent seller. What is the point and purpose of Paypal?

I guess Paypal couldn’t protect you from fraudulent seller and it’s meaningless to use Paypal since if there is something wrong with a fraudulent seller. Paypal did close the case and not provide the refund and the seller walks away free with your money..

I did file a complaint with the Bureau..

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AdanPhu 

You filed the wrong case. Unauthorized transaction is when someone broke into your account and made transaction without your knowledge which did not happen so PayPal denied your case. Contact customer service and ask to change reason for dispute to Item Not Received which is really what the problem is:

1. Go to: https://www.paypal.com/smarthelp/contact-us
  2. Click Disputes and account limitations
  3. Click Disputes
  4. Click Dispute a payment
  5. Click Message Us or Call Us after the “This information might help” box

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

AdanPhu
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I actually opened a dispute using different category before. 

The escalade button magically disappeared and I saw a note stating that the case will be closed on the 27th I think.

I feared that the case will be closed without any refund after the seller closed his account on Etsy right after I paid and I won’t get any refund.

So I looked up help on Paypal and saw the section about fraud.

I corrected the case according to the advises on the help section.

Pyapal closed my case as if they didn’t even really investigated and say they will not provide any refund after they stole my money and not giving any product?

What kind of service is this. I always thought Paypal was always secured and safe.

I even sold a game on Ebay before too and a buyer got the cd key. Then pretentiously claimed that their account was hacked. Paypal took my money away and the buyer got the cd for free. It was ~$50.

What?! How can the real owner of the account got the account back right away after the cd key was received? Didn’t the hacker changed the password so how can the real owner logged in right away after the cd was received??

It was only ~$50 so I let it go.. and I didn’t care much about money as I always thought Paypal was trustworthy, reliable, and nearly safe..

This is the second time so I do not really want to let this go..

This is also a message to other people who use Paypal and to use cautions..

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AdanPhu 

A dispute for an unauthorised transaction is telling paypal that your account was hacked and used without your consent to make that transaction.
Paypal would check IP addresses and devices and close the dispute if it was you that made the transaction.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.