Seller canceled item would not give a refund and has now sent item.

Robert130
Contributor
Contributor

I will try to make this as short as possible with out leaving out info.

I bought a phone on ebay.After sending payment the seller asked if I could do bank transfer, because he need the money now. I said as I had already sent him the money by pay paypal, that was not an option . The seller then canceled the order!!! He canceled the order . When I asked for refund he said, He had not canceled it. When sent him proof of cancelation, he then changed his story saying I would have to wait 21 days before he could give me a refund. 

I contacted Paypal right away. Long story short and several phone calls latter I was told I would have to wait 10 days to open a case.

However the seller has marketed the item dispatched ( 25th November). The item is no longer in my canceled items list and the seller has removed all his items for items for sale.

It seems to me he is trying to drag out the 21 days so the funds will be released  to him . No track was given.

So basically my question is, can I still open a case? There is no estimated time of postage, and like I said no tracking number .And no proof the item ever was listed on ebay, other then cancelation notice I have from ebay.?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Robert130

How do I open a dispute with a seller when a purchase goes wrong?

You can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre of your PayPal account within 180 days of payment if:
•You don’t receive the item
•You receive an item but it’s significantly different than the description on eBay or on the seller’s website

By opening a dispute, you can communicate directly with your seller to work out a problem transaction.

If you reach an agreement with the seller you can close the dispute. If you're still not happy with the result, you can escalate the dispute into a claim. We'll review the claim and decide on reimbursement.

These steps apply to Personal accounts. If you have a Business account, please log in to see the steps that apply to you.

To open a dispute:
1.Log in to your PayPal account.
2.Near the bottom of the page, under 'More about your account', click Resolve a problem in our Resolution Centre.
3.Click Dispute a Transaction.
4.Select the button beside the transaction you want to dispute, then click Continue.
5.Select ‘Item dispute’, click Continue and follow the on-screen instructions.

Note:
•Generally buyers must wait at least 7 days from the date of payment to escalate a dispute for an item not received
•Where an item has not been received, please ensure you have given the seller enough time before opening a dispute

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/first-dispute

DO NOT CLOSE THE DISPUTE UNTIL YOU HAVE A CLEARED REFUND OR YOUR ITEM WHATEVER THE SELLER SAYS. ALSO DON'T FORGET TO ESCALATE THE DISPUTE TO A CLAIM WITHIN 20 DAYS IF THE SELLER DOES NOT REFUND.

If that does not work then if you funded your paypal payment via a card then contact your card issuer and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Robert130

How do I open a dispute with a seller when a purchase goes wrong?

You can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre of your PayPal account within 180 days of payment if:
•You don’t receive the item
•You receive an item but it’s significantly different than the description on eBay or on the seller’s website

By opening a dispute, you can communicate directly with your seller to work out a problem transaction.

If you reach an agreement with the seller you can close the dispute. If you're still not happy with the result, you can escalate the dispute into a claim. We'll review the claim and decide on reimbursement.

These steps apply to Personal accounts. If you have a Business account, please log in to see the steps that apply to you.

To open a dispute:
1.Log in to your PayPal account.
2.Near the bottom of the page, under 'More about your account', click Resolve a problem in our Resolution Centre.
3.Click Dispute a Transaction.
4.Select the button beside the transaction you want to dispute, then click Continue.
5.Select ‘Item dispute’, click Continue and follow the on-screen instructions.

Note:
•Generally buyers must wait at least 7 days from the date of payment to escalate a dispute for an item not received
•Where an item has not been received, please ensure you have given the seller enough time before opening a dispute

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/first-dispute

DO NOT CLOSE THE DISPUTE UNTIL YOU HAVE A CLEARED REFUND OR YOUR ITEM WHATEVER THE SELLER SAYS. ALSO DON'T FORGET TO ESCALATE THE DISPUTE TO A CLAIM WITHIN 20 DAYS IF THE SELLER DOES NOT REFUND.

If that does not work then if you funded your paypal payment via a card then contact your card issuer and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Robert130
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.

I called  Paypal this morning. They said the seller still has to prove the item was sent regardless as to it being logged as sent.

Just complicates things a little . The seller can still give a tracking number, which is fake or the item could arrive as an empty box.

It seems Ebay nor Paypal have an immediate refund policy on items canceled.Paypal have to rejester this claim as " item not received" . Which is not case, the item was canceled .The seller canceled it, so why should I have to open claim for it ! Don't know why Paypal don't have an automatic refund system for canceled items. Now I have to  wait till the 29th, provide evidence...what for PayPal to contact seller, wait for a refund,which I might not get .Take it to a dispute, wait even LONGER for PayPal to reach a decision.Or the seller gives a tracking , I have to  wait 2 /3weeks , for the  item  which could be an empty box or what ever. Repute the problem to PayPal, open claim so on and so forth all for an item THE SELLER CANCELED!

All the time my money is in limbo, held by PayPal for an ITEM THAT WAS CANCELED!

SO silly !

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.