Seller Requests Personal Information Prior to Sending Product Paid For Via Paypal

Natwick
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Paypal Peeps. 
I regularly use Paypal to purchase products online. For the first time today, I have been contacted by a seller via email, saying my Paypal account is unverified and as such, they want me to provide a copy of a utility bill to prove my address and also, for me to email them from a 'paid for' email account such as a company email or school email. 

I've not ever been asked to do this before and my first concern was that it could be identity fraud so I contacted Paypal via the dispute resolution centre and they said it looks like an authorised purchase, case closed. 

The company are refusing to send me the product (NZD $941.00) unless I comply with their request. 
Does this sound normal to you guys? Should I be worried? 

I have since complied because with Paypal closing my case, I am worried I will have paid for a product and close to one thousand dollars worth and if I don't I won't receive it. 

I searched my Paypal account and discovered my new credit card hadn't been verified, it worked because I've used it several times previously through Paypal although for lesser amounts. I verified it this morning upon that realisation. But will the seller receive that information, that my credit card is valid? 

Any advice you have for me I would appreciate.
Thanks

Nat

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Natwick 

If you are spending a high value and they can see that your PayPal account is marked unverified, they may want to do their due diligence.

Tell the seller that you didn't realize that you didn't verify your credit card on file with PayPal and have since done so. Ask them to check the payment transaction details page again to see if the system has updated your PayPal account status as 'verified'. They can also void the order/payment authorization or refund the payment/cancel order and you can send a new payment/order with updated verified account status. I can't see why the seller won't do it other than losing out on PayPal fees paid if they have accepted the payment, as they have not shipped yet.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Natwick
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the advice, I shall do that and hope the package comes through. 🙂

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.